Student Strip Search Goes Before Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2009, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2009, 11:44:51 PMHow were finals like in your school? In my two highschools it was always the last week of the semester, so there was no school unless you had tests (gym class had a physical test, whch is what i thought you were refering to in your opening post once you mentioned finals).

My high school didn't really have 'finals.'  Some classes had a comprehensive end of semester test, some just a normal test on whatever you were working on, and some nothing.  It was nothing like in university, and all administered during the normal schedule.

Martinus

Maybe people in the US have actually their homes full of prescription drugs (are Americans a nation that overmedicates?) I think it's probably different in Europe.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2009, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on March 29, 2009, 11:39:37 AM
The teacher.
A smart teacher won't make that call.  A smart teacher will have the child calll his/her parent, and have the parent make that call.  After all, the parent is gonna have to pick the kid up, anyway, and as a teacher I would never put myself in the position of having denied the parent the right to make that decision.  That's asking for trouble.

QuoteWith younger children, the parents will be called and have to pick them up. With older children (middle school an up), you either go home alone or another student walks with you to the next doctor. If there is doubt that they can make it to the next doctor on their own, an ambulance is called.
Again, no school I am aware of would have a student leave and go home without contacting a parent and having them make the decision.  Schools are surely required to have someone trained in first aid, and unless the situation obviously calls for an ambulence, the parent should be allowed to dictate how the child is treated beyond first aid.
It could be a result of the difference in legal culture in the US and Europe, too. The US is a very litigious society and lawsuits against schools are quite common so I can imagine that teachers would be very reluctant to do anything like that.

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on March 29, 2009, 12:46:14 PMIt's not that hard to get in NY and NC. Basically go to the emergency room and fake some symptoms. The local hospitals prescribe Hydrocodone and Oxycodone like it was candy. It's gotten so bad that I give my parolees a condition they cannot be prescribed a narcotic without clearing it with me first.
So probably such an approach is indeed needed in America. It's one of those cultural differences, I guess, like the obesity problem.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
Maybe people in the US have actually their homes full of prescription drugs (are Americans a nation that overmedicates?) I think it's probably different in Europe.

I don't know what the situation in Europe is like, but there are a lot of people here, based on personal experience, who seem extremely reliant on drugs for both major and minor medical issues.  I suspect this is due to the massive marketing and lobbying efforts made by pharmas.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
There are plenty of news stories in Britain about the exact same overmedication issue, so perhaps the divide is not America/Europe as you believe.

I think that there is no question, though, that American doctors over-medicate, and especially they over-medicate "hyperactive" school students.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

This seems to have been an issue that arose after I left school. When we were in high school, everyone dealt with their own medicine without any controversy, apparently - as far as I know, I never even saw the school nurse, let alone handed meds over to her to dole back to me. I never even heard of such a thing until recently. Either no such policy existed or it was not enforced. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2009, 09:14:12 AM
This seems to have been an issue that arose after I left school. When we were in high school, everyone dealt with their own medicine without any controversy, apparently - as far as I know, I never even saw the school nurse, let alone handed meds over to her to dole back to me. I never even heard of such a thing until recently. Either no such policy existed or it was not enforced.

I don't think we can assume that Canada follows the US model on this sort of thing.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on March 30, 2009, 12:50:38 PM
I don't think we can assume that Canada follows the US model on this sort of thing.

Well, certainly Malthus' experience in Canada seems to pretty much mine in the US.  Whether current conditions in the 2 countries are likewise similar is another question.

Malthus

You could well be right - I have no idea whether such policies exist in Canada now or not.

What about all you who grew up in the US or Canada? Did such policies exist when you were going to school?

I sorta suspect that they were enacted because of the increased use in the '90s of amphetimine type drugs used to treat hyperactivity, such as Ritalin - that stuff wasn't commonly prescribed back in the early '80s. I read that some kids would indeed sell or trade them because when abused, you could get high off them. I suppose a policy of tighter control over such drugs makes some sense.

The thought of handing over one's antibiotics or ibuprofin makes considerably less sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

With Ritalin I would think that academic doping would also be of concern.

garbon

I suppose there was a system in place (give drugs to nurse) but I never paid it any attention.  We're a pharmaceutical family; we know our drugs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I graduated high school in the early 90s and I've never heard of something like "hand your double strength ibuprofene to the nurse".  Nor have I heard about anything like it from friends and acquaintances who've graduated later.  Not that I've asked, mind you.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2009, 01:22:01 PM

You could well be right - I have no idea whether such policies exist in Canada now or not.

What about all you who grew up in the US or Canada? Did such policies exist when you were going to school?

I sorta suspect that they were enacted because of the increased use in the '90s of amphetimine type drugs used to treat hyperactivity, such as Ritalin - that stuff wasn't commonly prescribed back in the early '80s. I read that some kids would indeed sell or trade them because when abused, you could get high off them. I suppose a policy of tighter control over such drugs makes some sense.

The thought of handing over one's antibiotics or ibuprofin makes considerably less sense.
i went to school in the 90's (several in fact :P ) and we didn't have that policy. One kid had a Ritalin prescription in my calss, and he had the bottle on him. He just had to go to the prinicple during lunch to make sure he took his meds
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.