Student Strip Search Goes Before Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2009, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 11:09:06 AM
Has Strix always been like this or when did he change into Paul Atreides II.

(II stands for number of eyes.)
:huh: They don't seem at all similar to me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza2 on March 29, 2009, 11:39:37 AM
The teacher.
A smart teacher won't make that call.  A smart teacher will have the child calll his/her parent, and have the parent make that call.  After all, the parent is gonna have to pick the kid up, anyway, and as a teacher I would never put myself in the position of having denied the parent the right to make that decision.  That's asking for trouble.

QuoteWith younger children, the parents will be called and have to pick them up. With older children (middle school an up), you either go home alone or another student walks with you to the next doctor. If there is doubt that they can make it to the next doctor on their own, an ambulance is called.
Again, no school I am aware of would have a student leave and go home without contacting a parent and having them make the decision.  Schools are surely required to have someone trained in first aid, and unless the situation obviously calls for an ambulence, the parent should be allowed to dictate how the child is treated beyond first aid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2009, 11:47:11 AMAgain, no school I am aware of would have a student leave and go home without contacting a parent and having them make the decision.  Schools are surely required to have someone trained in first aid, and unless the situation obviously calls for an ambulence, the parent should be allowed to dictate how the child is treated beyond first aid.
Yeah this is true.  But if the teachers think a kid is ill but they can't get in touch with the parent or what have you and still think the child's pretty ill then, generally, they'll pull them out of classes and put them in a quiet room near the office.  That only happened to me once (I had broken my ankle and my dad was about 40 minutes drive away so I had to wait) I just sat there while the receptionist made me tea and got me a glass of water :)

QuoteIn Spain, at least, obtaining that shit is hard. You need a special kind of prescription. Definitely much easier to score some shit on the streets.
It's similar in the UK.  Stuff like that's heavily regulated and doctors generally don't like prescribing it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Strix

Quote from: Iormlund on March 29, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
They don't take random stuff, they go for the pain killers like Oxycontin. There's a huge black market in this.

Sweet Jesus. Who the fuck is stupid enough to leave an opiate unlocked and unsupervised at home?
In Spain, at least, obtaining that shit is hard. You need a special kind of prescription. Definitely much easier to score some shit on the streets.

It's not that hard to get in NY and NC. Basically go to the emergency room and fake some symptoms. The local hospitals prescribe Hydrocodone and Oxycodone like it was candy. It's gotten so bad that I give my parolees a condition they cannot be prescribed a narcotic without clearing it with me first.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

dps

Quote from: Zanza2 on March 29, 2009, 11:39:37 AM
[Having a school nurse seems to be wasteful from my school experience. They would just twiddle their thumbs 95% of the time.

We had a school nurse when I was in elementary school, but not jr high or high school.  But even in elementary school, she wasn't actually at the school most of the time.  She was employed by the school system, and travelled to the various elementary schools.  Mostly she would come to a school when they had scheduled immunizations at that particular school, or to give a lecture about some aspect of health.  At the time, I think there were at least 30 elementary schools in our county school system, so she was only at any given school a few days a school year.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 11:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 11:09:06 AM
Has Strix always been like this or when did he change into Paul Atreides II.

(II stands for number of eyes.)
What?  Paul would be demanding that the kids be allowed to shoot heroin in school.  Paul is almost the anti-Strix.

I think the similarity is one of style rather than substance.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:05:24 AM
Who decides if a kid's really sick and has to go home or if they're faking it? What if a kid gets hurt or falls ill and requires first aid?
I once broke a finger in a high school gym class.  It took me two hours to convince the idiots in charge to let me out of the school, so that I can go to ER and have it splinted, and it was only after I walked back to the nurse's office with vice principal in tow.  It didn't exactly leave me with a good impression of the intelligence level of the average school nurse, or the whole bureaucracy involved.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2009, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:05:24 AM
Who decides if a kid's really sick and has to go home or if they're faking it? What if a kid gets hurt or falls ill and requires first aid?
I once broke a finger in a high school gym class.  It took me two hours to convince the idiots in charge to let me out of the school, so that I can go to ER and have it splinted, and it was only after I walked back to the nurse's office with vice principal in tow.  It didn't exactly leave me with a good impression of the intelligence level of the average school nurse, or the whole bureaucracy involved.
How old were ya? Here after 16 (IIRC) you can just leave anytime you want. even then, if you just didn't show up for next class at worst you'd get a call home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2009, 11:02:17 PM
How old were ya? Here after 16 (IIRC) you can just leave anytime you want. even then, if you just didn't show up for next class at worst you'd get a call home.
I was 15 at the time.  I guess I could physically leave school if I really had to, but the complication was that I had three finals later that day, and I would've gotten a zero on all those tests automatically had I left the school without permission.  I didn't have faith in the bureaucrats to apply common sense and make an exception in case I did bolt, for obvious reason, so it was strictly a last resort option for me.  Thankfully the vice principal came through for me, and as a bonus the nurses were pretty pissed.

HVC

Ah, finals. Guess they thought you had incentive to fake a broken finger :p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2009, 11:41:56 PM
They didn't know I had finals.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2009, 11:42:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2009, 11:41:56 PM
They didn't know I had finals.
How were finals like in your school? In my two highschools it was always the last week of the semester, so there was no school unless you had tests (gym class had a physical test, whch is what i thought you were refering to in your opening post once you mentioned finals).

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2009, 11:44:51 PM
How were finals like in your school? In my two highschools it was always the last week of the semester, so there was no school unless you had tests (gym class had a physical test, whch is what i thought you were refering to in your opening post once you mentioned finals).
My high school was unusual in that it had four quarters rather than two semesters.  The final was simply the last and biggest test of the quarter, and was administered during the usual class time.  It just so happened that three finals lined up on the same day, and I had a gym class before them.

We did have something called Regents exams at the end of the year (I think it's a New York state thing), where you did come to school only to take them, and go home when you were done.

garbon

When I broke my arm in gym class and my arm was shaped like an N, the school nurse told me that she thought it might be broken.  She was also convinced that I didn't know English.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2009, 10:30:16 PM

I broke my toe in middle school.  The gym teacher tried to get me to walk it off.   :D