If no one hears from me again, tell my wife I love her...

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2009, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So I'm stuck in the crappiest hotel ever in Ross River, Yukon.

There's a forecast overnight low of -18C.  The heater is blasting out cold air.

There's a rangetop that I've cranked up to try and generate some heat, but I'm already covering myself with one blanket, and it's only 6pm.

If I freeze to death overnight, I'll miss you guys, and someone should call my wife up and tell her I lover her.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

If she asks why you were in a motel in the middle of no where, we'll know what to say:

The man had a hooker obsession. ^_^
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

On the plus side, when I stayed here a year ago they didn't have wireless internet.

So now I can give you all a blow-by-blow account of my freezing my nuts off.

Viking

Are you arguing a case with a town hall of indians as a jury?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

How is it legal for them to rent you a room with no heat in the Yukon?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 03, 2009, 09:36:22 PM
How is it legal for them to rent you a room with no heat in the Yukon?

As a colleague of mine likes to say,

"if it aint second rate, it aint northern".

I just hoping they got rid of the bedbugs here.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Man Our government goes all out for it's people. :p Hope you survive, it'd be sad if your wife had to hear about your freezing to death from his "special internet friends". :(

:p
:p

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 03, 2009, 10:02:10 PM
No heat in the north goes beyond second-rate.

Well the temperature in the room itself is above freezing.  The cold air starts blasting if I turn the thermostat above 10C or so.  I figure I'm leeching heat from the neighboring rooms.

Thankfully I brought 2 sleeping bags, knowing this hotel's reputation (under previous owners) for crap. :thumbsup:

stjaba

Random question, since you seem to be bored: Do Canadian casebooks(or courts, for that matter) ever cite American cases? Thediscussion of Carbolic Smoke Ball got me wondering if I had read any Canadian cases, and I think the answer is no. But just now I saw a reference to British Columbia Saw Mill Co v. Nettleship, which I assume mostly likely fell under Canadian jurisdiction. But it was just a two line quote, so I had minimal exposure to the wisdom of Canadian jurisprudence. :( :Canuck:

Barrister

Quote from: stjaba on November 03, 2009, 10:19:07 PM
Random question, since you seem to be bored: Do Canadian casebooks(or courts, for that matter) ever cite American cases? Thediscussion of Carbolic Smoke Ball got me wondering if I had read any Canadian cases, and I think the answer is no. But just now I saw a reference to British Columbia Saw Mill Co v. Nettleship, which I assume mostly likely fell under Canadian jurisdiction. But it was just a two line quote, so I had minimal exposure to the wisdom of Canadian jurisprudence. :( :Canuck:

Yes they do.  But nowhere near as often as they do British caselaw.

The source of our common law was the English common law.  In, say, Alberta, when it became a province in 1905 it simply adopted the entirity of the English common law up to that point.  Plus, appeals to the Privy Counsel were only abolished in the 1930s or so.  So a lot of that older caselaw continues to be binding authority in Canada.

US caselaw though is somewhat different.  The historic stuff is of no value whatsoever.  However as new legal issues have developed, the courts have looked to US precedents.  That is - new issues that haven't been considered by any court before.  The US decision is not binding of course, but can be highly instructive.  The one case that comes to mind is Daubert v Dow dealing with the admissibility of expert evidence - it has been adopted into Canadian jurisprudence.

Viking

Quote from: stjaba on November 03, 2009, 10:19:07 PM

More importantly, do they cite other commonwealth cases (as opposed to merely british cases).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Wow, and I was pissed because of the crappy left speaker in my TV here at the Courtyard in NJ :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall