News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Medical Second Opinions

Started by Warspite, November 02, 2009, 08:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Based on two anecdotes I've heard recently, an interesting question came up. When would you go for a second opinion after being given a clean bill of health after a test?

A friend of mine was talking to me about her brother. He had walked into his parent's room on Friday morning with half his face drooping and could barely talk. So his mother takes him to their GP, who says it's nothing to worry about and come back on Monday if it persists for a course of antibiotics.

However, she is a Jewish mother, and will have none of this. She forces her way into a rather expensive London clinic which they use from time to time for a second opinion. Thank God she did, because this doctor immediately realises what's going on and bluntly says 'if you'd left this another 48 hours, it would be untreatable and permanent: at least now he has a decent chance'. The poor brother is now on a massive course of steroids and anti-virals for a very serious condition.

So I ask Languish: at what point would you call BS on favourable verdict and go seek another doctor?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

:blink: Their GP is retarded.  I hope they never go back.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

If I was a hypochondriac like Martinus.

I suppose if I were suffering serious symptoms, I'd want a second opinion.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Warspite

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2009, 08:41:12 AM
:blink: Their GP is retarded.  I hope they never go back.

Quite - I've told them to write a letter to the medical watchdog too.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Alatriste

I think it would depend on the symptoms. I wouldn't just for a few coughs and a slight fever... but if I had half my face paralyzed you can bet I would search a  second opinion.

And if I didn't my mother would make me do it, at gun point if necessary. All Mediterranean moms are like that!

Martinus

Well, my mum is a doctor so I pretty much always get a second opinion from her. She would force me to get the "real" second opinion if she didn't agree with what the doctor I went to said.

Brazen

Sounds like Bell's palsy, which, it is true, usually goes away by itself, but it can take weeks. I had a mild version once. It and a related condition can be (but are not always) caused by a virus, the cold sore virus and the chicken pox virus respectively, hence the antivirals.

In answer to the question, I'd have already researched online and called NHS direct before I went to the doctor, so the doctor would be the second opinion :P

Lucidor

Quote from: Brazen on November 02, 2009, 08:58:00 AM
Sounds like Bell's palsy, which, it is true, usually goes away by itself, but it can take weeks. I had a mild version once. It and a related condition can be (but are not always) caused by a virus, the cold sore virus and the chicken pox virus respectively, hence the antivirals.

In answer to the question, I'd have already researched online and called NHS direct before I went to the doctor, so the doctor would be the second opinion :P
Antivirals have no benefit over prednisolone alone, from what I've read.

Warspite

It's not Bell's Palsy but has similar symptoms. Can't remember the name of it, it a syndrome of some kind.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

MadImmortalMan

Do you guys have the ability to switch GPs whenever you want?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Last March I was bitten by one of our cats who had been attacked by a stray dog. We cleaned it up and bandaged it, but after a day it was getting worse so I went into the ED. The doctor on call prescribed oral antibiotics and valium and sent me home. The next afternoon I was in so much pain I went back in. Fortunately there was a different doctor on call this time. She took one look at it and hospitalized me. I was in for 3 days on IV antibiotics and morphine and narrowly missed needing surgery and possible amputation. Even as it was, there was enough damage done that I have nearly no grip in that hand when it rains.

I wish I had asked for a second opinion that first night, but you know. He gave me antibiotics, he should know what he's doing right?

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on November 02, 2009, 11:59:02 AM
It's not Bell's Palsy but has similar symptoms. Can't remember the name of it, it a syndrome of some kind.
Ramsay Hunt syndrome? That's the one caused by the chicken pox virus, basically shingles of the ear.

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on November 02, 2009, 12:17:17 PM
Last March I was bitten by one of our cats who had been attacked by a stray dog. We cleaned it up and bandaged it, but after a day it was getting worse so I went into the ED. The doctor on call prescribed oral antibiotics and valium and sent me home. The next afternoon I was in so much pain I went back in. Fortunately there was a different doctor on call this time. She took one look at it and hospitalized me. I was in for 3 days on IV antibiotics and morphine and narrowly missed needing surgery and possible amputation. Even as it was, there was enough damage done that I have nearly no grip in that hand when it rains.
:o What in the heck did you get infected with?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga