‘Crazy’ rapist arrested after cops find 6 bodies

Started by jimmy olsen, November 01, 2009, 06:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

This reminds me of one time when I was working at Harvard and my office was in an converted old house that was built in like 1652.  Because it was so old, there wasn't central air and we had window units for the rare times when it actually got hot up there.

Anyway, one spring a bird decided to build a nest on the same ledge as my window AC, and had a bunch of baby birds in the nest.  It was real cute and all that kinda thing.

Then a month or so later, there was a rare summer heatwave and (not sure if this was why) all the birds died, and quickly started to perfume my office with the foul stench of death.  I wanted to just open the window, pull the AC out, and kick the nest down to the street, but one of my damn hippy workstudy students was all "AWW no that would be cruel and disrespectful!" so she made me call custodial services to have the birds "disposed of" respectfully.

Well, guess what?  Apparently they had to refer all cases of dead birds on campus to some nerd Ornithologist, who insisted that the birds not be disposed of until he could come and examine them and then he would take them back to his lab to study if he felt like it.  This guy had, unsurprisingly, no work ethic so it took him like another two weeks to feel like showing up. :bleeding: :x

When he finally showed he was like "yeah, they're just dead chickadees" or whatever they were and told us we were "cleared" to get them removed.  So we had to call custodial services again and they agreed to remove the corpses, but never showed up to do it even though they called like three times.

So about a week later me and one of my staff assistants waited till the workstudy wacko left for the day, pulled the AC out, and pushed the nest onto the street. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 10:21:44 AM

So about a week later me and one of my staff assistants waited till the workstudy wacko left for the day, pulled the AC out, and pushed the nest onto the street. :ph34r:

:lol:

After weeks of smelling that, I'd be tempted to push the wacko out after it. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2009, 10:23:51 AM
After weeks of smelling that, I'd be tempted to push the wacko out after it.
She was Chinese and looked disturbingly like that girl who got strangled at Yale a few months back.

KRonn

Poor Cal, got caught up being coerced into doing someone's version of the right thing, and it backfired, and smelled, terribly.   Ewww....

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on November 04, 2009, 12:25:23 PM
Poor Cal, got caught up being coerced into doing someone's version of the right thing, and it backfired, and smelled, terribly.   Ewww....
The amusing thing is that the assistant who helped me dump the nest into the street actually predicted all this would happen after our first conversation with custodial services.  :lol:

KRonn

Another amazing stench is when you just pass by a dead skunk in the road. The darn thing might be on the other side of the road, and you have all your windows shut, but even still it smells like you have the skunk in your lap for the next few miles!   :huh:

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on November 04, 2009, 12:34:44 PM
Another amazing stench is when you just pass by a dead skunk in the road. The darn thing might be on the other side of the road, and you have all your windows shut, but even still it smells like you have the skunk in your lap for the next few miles!   :huh:
You know, I almost never see or smell skunks down here.  We probably have our coyote friends to thank for that.  :menace:

Malthus

One of the most shocking things I ever heard in my life was when my elderly mom said of her friend's cooking "it was like eating the ass out of a dead skunk".

I nearly fell off my chair.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:38:12 PM
You know, I almost never see or smell skunks down here.  We probably have our coyote friends to thank for that.  :menace:
I see or smell a lot fewer, and I blame the coyotes. Used to have skunks spray outside in the summer all the time, had to run around shutting windows. That rarely happens now.

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 06:18:57 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2009, 08:05:48 PM
I can see that some lucky Ohio starter home buyer will be getting a bargan in the reasonably near future.
I think it's fairly common to tear down "houses of death" like this one.

Yep, it attracts unwanted attention from some people, and it lowers the property value of the neighboring houses... among other things.

As for the smell, very few people have smelled a decomposing corpse with full knowledge that it was a human body. It's incredibly foul to the scent, yeah, but most people don't instinctively suspect it's that unless they see it, but rather tend to explain it as something else. Playing on that ignorance (or cognitive dissonance), serial killers easily find sensible excuses to explain away the foul odor. And, paraphrasing Jack Levin, are we to start presuming that every unexplained stench coming from a house, a flat, or a basement is because of decomposing bodies?

John Wayne Gacy's wife lived with him for years as he was killing boys and burying them in his cellar, and she never suspected a thing. She left Gacy not because he was a killer, but because he was abusive when drunk and she couldn't tolerate him cheating on her with guys anymore. Same with Dahmer's neighboring tenants, many of whom complained of the stench coming from his flat to his landlord. Every single time,  Dahmer explained it away and the inquiring minds bought his stories.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 12:38:12 PM

Coyotes never catch anything.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on November 04, 2009, 01:03:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 06:18:57 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2009, 08:05:48 PM
I can see that some lucky Ohio starter home buyer will be getting a bargan in the reasonably near future.
I think it's fairly common to tear down "houses of death" like this one.

Yep, it attracts unwanted attention from some people, and it lowers the property value of the neighboring houses... among other things.

As for the smell, very few people have smelled a decomposing corpse with full knowledge that it was a human body. It's incredibly foul to the scent, yeah, but most people don't instinctively suspect it's that unless they see it, but rather tend to explain it as something else. Playing on that ignorance (or cognitive dissonance), serial killers easily find sensible excuses to explain away the foul odor. And, paraphrasing Jack Levin, are we to start presuming that every unexplained stench coming from a house, a flat, or a basement is because of decomposing bodies?

John Wayne Gacy's wife lived with him for years as he was killing boys and burying them in his cellar, and she never suspected a thing. She left Gacy not because he was a killer, but because he was abusive when drunk and she couldn't tolerate him cheating on her with guys anymore. Same with Dahmer's neighboring tenants, many of whom complained of the stench coming from his flat to his landlord. Every single time,  Dahmer explained it away and the inquiring minds bought his stories.

Well, if a neighbour said a stench of rot wafting from his place was from a raccoon that died in a crawlspace or something, I'd certainly be inclined to believe them rather than immediately thinking "must be dead teens".

Caliga

Not me.  I assume all of my neighbors are crazy, evil, or both.  Poor little naive Malthus  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 02:09:23 PM
Not me.  I assume all of my neighbors are crazy, evil, or both.  Poor little naive Malthus  :(

But you are in Kentucky:D

KRonn

I've smelled decomposing animal or bird corpses, and it's nasty; something easy to remember. If I ever smell that smell anywhere I look around to try and find it, assuming of course that a small animal or bird died, and I want to bury it to get rid of the stench. I imagine with a large animal or human the smell could get quite intense.