News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Guy gets the door!

What's happening in the MTL? A melt down? Can Gainey save the year?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

I'm already saving my spot on St-Cath for the Parade.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Montreal's having a bit of a slump, but they'll recover and make the playoffs.

I'm more worried about Calgary.  They're not just losing, they've been getting destroyed by teams that are average at best.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Evil Spock

Trade-deadlineitis. Ollie Jokinen is a cancer in the locker room.

Strix

Quote from: Evil Spock on March 10, 2009, 02:07:47 PM

Mike Keenan is the Flames coach. The Doomsday clock started steadily ticking towards Midnight when he took over. Just as it has for every place he has gone. I was just shocked not to see Iginla get dumped. Keenan's first move is to usually get rid of any superstars and/or leaders that may challenge him. Ignila must not be much of a leader or a strong presence on the team. Or, maybe Mike is mellowing.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Delirium

I believe the very successful Chicago Blackhawks of Keenan's day had lots of leadership.

I'm more interested in the Rangers under Tortorella. Beating Bruins is well and good but losing to Cahlina won't do.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Scipio

I predict the Red Wings will implode in the playoffs.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Strix on March 10, 2009, 11:00:05 PM

Mike Keenan is the Flames coach. The Doomsday clock started steadily ticking towards Midnight when he took over. Just as it has for every place he has gone. I was just shocked not to see Iginla get dumped. Keenan's first move is to usually get rid of any superstars and/or leaders that may challenge him. Ignila must not be much of a leader or a strong presence on the team. Or, maybe Mike is mellowing.
Keenan doesn't call the shots when it comes to peronnel.  Keenan might be the coach, but Sutter is the Big Man in that office.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Delirium

Quote from: Scipio on March 11, 2009, 06:39:53 AM

Just like last year that everyone predicted?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Strix

Quote from: Delirium on March 11, 2009, 04:53:21 AM
I believe the very successful Chicago Blackhawks of Keenan's day had lots of leadership.

I'm more interested in the Rangers under Tortorella. Beating Bruins is well and good but losing to Cahlina won't do.

I didn't say he wasn't successful. At least early on in his career he would take over a team and get them far into the playoffs in short order. However, he'd leave the team after 3-4 seasons and the whole organization (playerwise) would be in a shambles that takes years to recover from.

Scipio

Quote from: Delirium on March 11, 2009, 08:40:08 AM
Quote from: Scipio on March 11, 2009, 06:39:53 AM

Just like last year that everyone predicted?

It's a safer prediction than a Stanley Cup victory.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Delirium

Neil

Calgary vs. Detroit last night was a hell of a game.

saskganesh

Quote from: Strix on March 10, 2009, 11:00:05 PM

Keenan is actually  very good at getting strong leaders on board. see Messier, Mark; see Roenick, Jeremy.

He's also very good at motivating goalies. Belfour, Richter, Kipper

Then he assembles roleplayers who buy into his system. some of these guys follow him from team to team. kinda cultish.

His modus is to rely on goto players for a lot of ice time. Messiers, Roenicks, Iginlas get double shifts, special teams. Goalies play 70 games.

since the Flames are in first place, in Keenan's second year, I don't think its doomsday yet, with respect to Keenan's limited shelf life, I think its just a slump.

the problem with firing Keenan, is that Calgary has gone through many coaches for what is "Sutter's team. the heat goes back onto Sutter then.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Strix on March 11, 2009, 09:23:37 AM
However, he'd leave the team after 3-4 seasons and the whole organization (playerwise) would be in a shambles that takes years to recover from.

I agree with that, but Calgary is in goforit mode.
humans were created in their own image