And we're back!

Main Menu

Comparison of Han and Roman Empires?

Started by Queequeg, March 27, 2009, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
You might enjoy this story Spellus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1541421/Roman-descendants-found-in-China.html

:rolleyes: They're not Romans... they're far more likely to be of Tocharian descent given their appearance and location.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PRC

Chung Kuo: the Middle Kingdom.  Pretty good sci-fi series about a China that has seemingly taken over the world during Roman times.

http://www.amazon.com/Chung-Kuo-Kingdom-David-Wingrove/dp/0440613868/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238291098&sr=8-1

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2009, 08:28:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
You might enjoy this story Spellus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1541421/Roman-descendants-found-in-China.html

:rolleyes: They're not Romans... they're far more likely to be of Tocharian descent given their appearance and location.
Was thinking the exact same thing.  You end up with people like this in the Tarim Basin even today

Besides, hook-nosed, blonde Romans?  Looks more like my avatar (a Saka) than a Roman.

Thanks for the book recommendations people.  Interesting stuff. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2009, 02:22:53 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 27, 2009, 11:52:40 PM
Also, is it just me, or would some kind of R:TW (or, to be honest, a Europa Barbarorum) that included Europe, the Middle East, India AND China from about 300 BC to the birth of Christ be about the coolest fucking thing ever?
Dunno how you would account for the insularity of the Chinese, though.  China was pretty much in a position to conquer the world several times, but always drew back because The World was "icky."
IDK about that; I think the insularity of China was more an ideal than a reality, the result of having to constantly fight nomadic people at the borders.  China's art was certainly influenced by the Greco-Bactrians and various nomadic peoples, for instance. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

Also, is it just me, or would some kind of R:TW (or, to be honest, a Europa Barbarorum) that included Europe, the Middle East, India AND China from about 300 BC to the birth of Christ be about the coolest fucking thing ever?

Europa Barbarorum is a fraud. I never managed to get it to work.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on March 28, 2009, 10:18:19 PM

Your grandmother was a fraud.

syk

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2009, 10:19:13 PM

You never got her to work?

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

The Europeans made the great journeys of discovery because they wanted access to the riches of the Indies and China. The Chinese had no similar carrot.

Yep as they knew Europe was a shit hole.  ^_^
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on March 28, 2009, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

The Europeans made the great journeys of discovery because they wanted access to the riches of the Indies and China. The Chinese had no similar carrot.

Yep as they knew Europe was a shit hole.  ^_^
From what I've read from what they knew of the Romans and Persians they seem to have respected.  From my (very cursory) readings it almost seemed like they regarded them as their civilized counterparts on the other side of the world.  At least those who visited (or came close to visiting) thought as much.

That said, it seems there were generally more European and Arab explorers than Chinese ones (with a few big exceptions, most of them Muslim anyway).

Siege

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on March 28, 2009, 10:59:20 PM

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?
My name is from Moby-Dick and I've spent most of this thread cumming over Steppe history.  Who do you think I am?

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2009, 11:03:43 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 28, 2009, 10:59:20 PM

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?
My name is from Moby-Dick and I've spent most of this thread cumming over Steppe history.  Who do you think I am?

I know who you were, but I don't know who you ARE.

People that change their names deserve to be fed to CdM's cats.

Siege

I FUCKING HATE YOU!!!!!!1111

NAME CHANGER!!!!111

TRAITOR!!!!!!1111

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on March 28, 2009, 06:05:09 PM

I'm amazed that neither China especially, nor Japan found and settled/traded/got resources from North America. Both very advanced tech and societies, and pretty much just had to follow the coastline to N. America. Maybe they made some journeys, probably did, but I'm not aware of any signicificant history there.

China was so large and self-sufficient that there was no pressure to get resources from elsewhere.  It had everything it wanted.
Yes but curiosity at the least. And to find what was there, even just individuals exploring along coastlines, not necessarily a government action. Just doesn't make a lot of sense really.