News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nerd Poll Du Jour

Started by Grallon, October 28, 2009, 05:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which FARSCAPE character is your favorite and why?

Captain John Chrighton (male Human astronaut)
2 (10.5%)
Officer Aeryn Sun (female Sebacean Peacekeeper prowler pilot)
4 (21.1%)
General Ka D'Argo, aka 'D' or 'Big Guy' (male Luxan warrior)
0 (0%)
Dominar Rygel XVI, aka 'Sparky' (male Hynerian (deposed) Monarch)
1 (5.3%)
Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan, aka 'Blue' (female Delvian Piestess of the 10th level)
0 (0%)
Chiana, aka 'Pip' (female Nebari burglar)
3 (15.8%)
Stark (male Stykera Banik slave)
0 (0%)
Joolushko Tunai Fenta Hovalis, aka 'Jool' or 'Princess' (female Interion socialite and scholar)
0 (0%)
Utu Noranti Pralatong, aka Noranti, or 'Wrinkles' or 'Old Woman' (female Traskan herbalist, chef and diplomat)
0 (0%)
Sikozu Svala Shanti Sugaysi Shanu, aka 'Sikosu' (female Kalish technician and spy)
0 (0%)
Moya (female Leviathan ship)
1 (5.3%)
Pilot (male Surfacer pilot)
2 (10.5%)
Scorpius, aka 'Grasshoper' or 'Harvey' (male Scarran-Sebacean hybrid Peacekeeper Fleet Officer, Scarran spy and mastermind)
4 (21.1%)
Commandant Mele-on Grayza, aka 'the Great Bitch' or 'Commandante Cleavage' (female Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet Officer and Special Directorate High Inquisitor)
0 (0%)
Captain Bialar Crais (male Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet Officer)
1 (5.3%)
Captain Meeklo Braca, aka 'Scorpius' boy' (male Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet officer)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

crazy canuck

I loved Farscape.  Nothing bad about it.  Neil needs a brain transplant and Brain needs a new name.

Jaron

Isnt Farscape a video game?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Yeah Farscape was the last sci-fi show i liked actually.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I don't hate space opera.  I've watched Star Wars hundreds of times.

I just hate the recent generation of TV sci-fi, which I see as utterly uninspired.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Scorpius is really one of the great all time villains, and throughout the show's run rarely has a bad moment.  Although Farscape is one of those rare shows where I liked just about all of the characters (just not all the time).

DontSayBanana

Crais.  The Strangelovesque paranoia made him a great antagonist.  They handled his conversion to a fairweather friend pretty well, too.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 28, 2009, 05:14:32 PM
Over the last few weeks I indulged in a Farscape marathon.  Since Farscape is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi shows I thought of asking the Languish nerds who was their favortie characters and why.

I've mingled both 'heroes' and 'villains', irrespective of whether they are main or supporting characters.

G.
Aeryn Sun.  No doubtaboutit.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2009, 07:26:49 PM
Ok, I will expand my previous, flippant, response and explain what I meant.

I may be wrong, but would it be a fair assumption that you lean towards considering "space opera" type scifi crappy, while considering hard scifi good, Neil?

Space opera appeals to grallon because it in general appeals to gay sensibilities in at least three aspects:

1. Visual

The way people dress etc. in space operas is usually very camp, "futuristic", (which involves revealing and/or tight clothes, use of glitter/shining fabrics, often quite "risque" cuts).

2. Psychological

Characters in space operas usually are survivors; female characters are usually strong-willed, powerful, as good as any man - we love our divas, plus it plays nicely to our "gender roles are a social convention" view.

3. Political

Space operas usually feature societies (or at least individuals) that are progressive, open-minded, tolerant etc. or at least the issue of tolerance vs. xenophobia plays a significant role in the theme (e.g. vs. aliens or cylons or whatnot).

There is a reason why space operas are one of the most popular "fantasy" genres among gays (the other being horrors).
I'm relieved, really.
For a moment there, I thought I was gay since all these points appealed to me, but the descriptions doesn't fit at all, so I guess I'm safe :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

apart from the failed vader wannabes and the true original characters (moya and pilot) languish is voting for the reasonably hot chicks.. you people need girlfriends.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

Crighton, Scorpius, Aeryn Sun, Dargo, Rygel, Zhaan, Chiara.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 07:18:32 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 28, 2009, 07:00:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 06:45:52 PM
Why does Grallon like bad sci-fi?
Shoo!  <_<
It's a legitimate question.  I mean, Farscape is mostly crappy, but the new Battlestar Galactica was the worst thing ever to have happened.

well the ending, yes, but the rest was pretty good. I've watched exactly no farscape. i read some reviews, looked stinky.
:p

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

Only seen a few episodes, never really go into it.  Pilot was kinda interesting though.