News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nerd Poll Du Jour

Started by Grallon, October 28, 2009, 05:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which FARSCAPE character is your favorite and why?

Captain John Chrighton (male Human astronaut)
2 (10.5%)
Officer Aeryn Sun (female Sebacean Peacekeeper prowler pilot)
4 (21.1%)
General Ka D'Argo, aka 'D' or 'Big Guy' (male Luxan warrior)
0 (0%)
Dominar Rygel XVI, aka 'Sparky' (male Hynerian (deposed) Monarch)
1 (5.3%)
Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan, aka 'Blue' (female Delvian Piestess of the 10th level)
0 (0%)
Chiana, aka 'Pip' (female Nebari burglar)
3 (15.8%)
Stark (male Stykera Banik slave)
0 (0%)
Joolushko Tunai Fenta Hovalis, aka 'Jool' or 'Princess' (female Interion socialite and scholar)
0 (0%)
Utu Noranti Pralatong, aka Noranti, or 'Wrinkles' or 'Old Woman' (female Traskan herbalist, chef and diplomat)
0 (0%)
Sikozu Svala Shanti Sugaysi Shanu, aka 'Sikosu' (female Kalish technician and spy)
0 (0%)
Moya (female Leviathan ship)
1 (5.3%)
Pilot (male Surfacer pilot)
2 (10.5%)
Scorpius, aka 'Grasshoper' or 'Harvey' (male Scarran-Sebacean hybrid Peacekeeper Fleet Officer, Scarran spy and mastermind)
4 (21.1%)
Commandant Mele-on Grayza, aka 'the Great Bitch' or 'Commandante Cleavage' (female Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet Officer and Special Directorate High Inquisitor)
0 (0%)
Captain Bialar Crais (male Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet Officer)
1 (5.3%)
Captain Meeklo Braca, aka 'Scorpius' boy' (male Sebacean Peacekeeper Fleet officer)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Grallon

Over the last few weeks I indulged in a Farscape marathon.  Since Farscape is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi shows I thought of asking the Languish nerds who was their favortie characters and why.

I've mingled both 'heroes' and 'villains', irrespective of whether they are main or supporting characters.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grallon

Have you become a contrarian too then Brain?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

I only saw the first few episodes of this series before losing track.
I suppose I should watch it some day given Babylon 5 was a big dissapointment and rewatching Blakes 7 has grown meh.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I voted for Scorpius.

A very superior villain IMO, a complete bastard but you can also sympathise with him.

Grallon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2009, 05:29:36 PM
I voted for Scorpius.

A very superior villain IMO, a complete bastard but you can also sympathise with him.

Indeed.  This show had such great character development *and* a coherent storyline too.  Plus the on-screen chemestry of Browder (Crighton) and Black (Sun) was superb!

G.

~Jean-François Revel

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I've never really watched this show, but for some odd reason I find that Chiana broad to be HOTT, so she got my vote.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

This is a harder question than I'd at first thought.

In the end I have to go with Braca.

A company man, yes, but his loyalty is not as one can surmise at first glance completely blind. He owes loyalty to the Corps first and to his commanding officers only second.

A man of fortitude and principles.

Actually the only character in the entire series that I can't find a flaw with.

Since you haven't listed 1812, I'm going to have to vote Braca.

Crichton is of course also an interesting character, but his rampant doogoodism sets me off. D'argo is ruined by the entire species mixing angle which really turns my stomach.

Most annoying character is easier. Screaming bitch. Yeah, she has nice tits but I hate screaming characters and she really takes the cake.

Slargos

Quote from: Grallon on October 28, 2009, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2009, 05:29:36 PM
I voted for Scorpius.

Indeed.  This show had such great character development *and* a coherent storyline too.  and the on-screen chemestry of Browder (Crighton) and Black (Sun) was superb!

G.

Seeing them in the stargate comeback was a wonderful treat.

Neil

Why does Grallon like bad sci-fi?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 06:45:52 PM

Space opera is the definition of camp.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on October 28, 2009, 07:00:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 06:45:52 PM
Shoo!  <_<
It's a legitimate question.  I mean, Farscape is mostly crappy, but the new Battlestar Galactica was the worst thing ever to have happened.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Ok, I will expand my previous, flippant, response and explain what I meant.

I may be wrong, but would it be a fair assumption that you lean towards considering "space opera" type scifi crappy, while considering hard scifi good, Neil?

Space opera appeals to grallon because it in general appeals to gay sensibilities in at least three aspects:

1. Visual

The way people dress etc. in space operas is usually very camp, "futuristic", (which involves revealing and/or tight clothes, use of glitter/shining fabrics, often quite "risque" cuts).

2. Psychological

Characters in space operas usually are survivors; female characters are usually strong-willed, powerful, as good as any man - we love our divas, plus it plays nicely to our "gender roles are a social convention" view.

3. Political

Space operas usually feature societies (or at least individuals) that are progressive, open-minded, tolerant etc. or at least the issue of tolerance vs. xenophobia plays a significant role in the theme (e.g. vs. aliens or cylons or whatnot).

There is a reason why space operas are one of the most popular "fantasy" genres among gays (the other being horrors).