News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Local News

Started by Berkut, October 27, 2009, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

From the local rag, the D&C:

QuotePolice search for man who attacked football official Victoria E. Freile • Staff writer • October 26, 2009
Rochester Police today are searching for the man who struck a football official in the face following a game over the weekend.
Sgt. Mark Simmons of the Rochester Police Department said Pete McCabe was struck in the face with a football helmet during an altercation after an adult pickup football game at Edgerton Park on Saturday. The incident occurred about 9 p.m.
McCabe of Lakeville, Livingston County, was one of several officials at the game, Simmons said.  He suffered serious injuries to his face, including an unattached nose and broken bones, and was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment.
McCabe was listed in satisfactory condition today, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Simmons said McCabe is expected to undergo facial reconstruction surgery later this week. Officers believe one of the players attacked McCabe, then ran from the scene, Simmons said. Officers are searching for that man and are investigating the altercation.

The official in question is a friend of mine - one of the first guys who helped me out getting into high school football around here when I first moved here.

And it was a semi-pro game, not a pickup football game, whatever that might be.

Fucking punks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 27, 2009, 03:35:28 PM
And it was a semi-pro game, not a pickup football game, whatever that might be.

Certainly not a game with refs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

22 guys standing around a field with helmets and pads, one guy says "hey, how about a game?"

Pat

QuoteHe suffered serious injuries to his face, including an unattached nose and broken bones

What the fuck, that's bad. What's the story behind this?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2009, 03:39:04 PM
22 guys standing around a field with helmets and pads, one guy says "hey, how about a game?"

Semi-pro football is hilarious to watch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Unattached nose?  :x  Christ.

Well, I'm sure they can catch whoever did it.  Only so many players at the game.  Someone will talk.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadBurgerMaker

:blink:  Holy shit, what an enormous scumbag.

Hope your buddy will be okay.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2009, 03:42:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2009, 03:39:04 PM

Semi-pro football is hilarious to watch.

I don't know what it's like up in Berkut's idyllic sylvan paradise of upstate New York, but the semi-pro football teams down here, Philly and DC are about one notch above Penal League.
The Baltimore Bears have a reputation of simply being DOC without the jumpsuits.

Capetan Mihali

And they caught someone.   :)

QuoteSemi-pro football player accused of referee attack

(AP) – 1 day ago

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — A semi-professional football player has been charged with slamming a referee in the face with his helmet at the end of an unruly game in upstate New York.

Police say 23-year-old Leon Woods, of Rochester, was arrested late Tuesday and charged with first-degree assault in Saturday's attack on referee Pete McCabe.

Defense attorney Joe Dinolfo entered a not guilty plea Wednesday for his client, who was jailed on $10,000 cash bail.

The 54-year-old McCabe needs surgery for his broken nose, jaw and other bones in his face.

Witnesses say McCabe was attacked at a Rochester park by a player on the losing side who was wearing Woods' number. Two other players on his team were ejected after a fight. His team, the Western New York Cougars, lost the game. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

This is what allowing people to bring signs to a game eventually leads to.

Edit: Ugh, just read the entire article. That's some serious stuff.

alfred russel

Or had he been allowed to express himself with a sign he wouldn't have done so with a helmet to the face.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 29, 2009, 05:39:56 PM
Or had he been allowed to express himself with a sign he wouldn't have done so with a helmet to the face.
:lol:

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2009, 08:17:34 PM
I don't know what it's like up in Berkut's idyllic sylvan paradise of upstate New York, but the semi-pro football teams down here, Philly and DC are about one notch above Penal League.
The Baltimore Bears have a reputation of simply being DOC without the jumpsuits.
Most of the population of Baltimore has either done time or lives the thug life.  I'm not surprised.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

The worst part wasn't even in either of the stories posted.

Apparently after the attack the other refs and the victim's family tried to borrow a cellphone to call for help and no one there would let them borrow one.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher