North American: No
European: Yes
European: No
Asian: Yes
Asian: No
Other: Yes
Other: No

Barrister

I got both the H1N1 and seasonal flu shot last night.  Never gotten a flu shot before.

The injection sight is a bit sore, but no other side effects.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

And get Dystonia?  No thank you.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 27, 2009, 07:38:45 AM
The canadian flu shot campaign began yesterday and since we keep being bombarded by real-time newsfeed about it I'm getting very jittery.  Originally I did not intend to get the shot but now I'm wondering.  On the one hand you keep hearing all kinds of horror stories about getting vaccinated and becoming sick like a dog - on the other what if I don't and I do catch something?

So here's a tally of who intends to do what.

G.
the vaccine has the same template has the regular flu shot.
There are side effects to every vaccine, there are risks involved.
However, the risks are less than getting the swine flu.

Mostly, you do it for everyone else around you you will meet: you may be sick, but not deadly sick, and you will contaminate everyone around you.

The goal of this vaccination is to prevent a pandemia.  And to reduce possibilities of this virus mutating.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 27, 2009, 09:56:58 AM
And get Dystonia?  No thank you.
that's bullshit and you know it.  Doctors could not link the virus to her condition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystonia
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valdemar

Viper, The H1N1 vac isn't exactly the same as the seasonal.

The H1N1 has an additional "booster" that triggers the immune system. For anyone with autoimmune symptoms like me or CK that should be considered before accepting :)

V

saskganesh

I am cynical about the whole affair , and was not planning on getting one, but I have weighed various risks and probabilities,  and so I think I just might.

But if the clinic situation is silly, I'll put it off.
humans were created in their own image

barkdreg

I won't get it. I stand more chance of dying because I fell down the stairs than dying because of the flu.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on October 27, 2009, 07:44:06 AM
No. It's just another type of flu and I'm at no greater risk of any serious effects than any other strain.

Certainly not like the H1N1 we have here in North America. :P  This is a new strain and you certainly are at a greater risk of serious effects if you get it.  It is different from another type of flu.  This one kills healthy people....

QuoteI'd rather not be almost certainly quite ill from the jab than stand a small chance of getting very ill from the bug.

How does a flu shot create an almost certain chance you will get "quite ill".  You do kow that flu shots dont give you the flu right?

QuoteMy dad and my bloke both have heart problems, so they'll be getting one on top of the basic flu jab they already get.

So its ok for people with compromised health to most certainly get sick from the flu shot but not you. :P

saskganesh

the 13 year old hockey player dieing over the weekend put me in the vaccination camp.

it would be really shitty if I was a carrier and infected someone who could not deal with it so well.

Martinus

Quote from: saskganesh on October 27, 2009, 12:25:41 PM
the 13 year old hockey player dieing over the weekend put me in the vaccination camp.

it would be really shitty if I was a carrier and infected someone who could not deal with it so well.

I may be wrong, but doesn't the vaccine prevent you from getting sick, but it does not really do anything to your capacity to be a carrier? In face, if you got sick you would probably go home or to a hospital, whereas if you are vaccinated and continue going around while the virus gets on you, you probably would have a bigger chance of infecting someone.

saskganesh

I imagine it would decrease the effectiveness of being a carrier. for example,  I wouldn't be coughing in my sleeve and sneezing in restaurants.

ulmont

Quote from: saskganesh on October 27, 2009, 12:35:17 PM
I imagine it would decrease the effectiveness of being a carrier. for example,  I wouldn't be coughing in my sleeve and sneezing in restaurants.

Yeah, I was not very clear.  If the virus isn't making you sick, it isn't reproducing in your body; and if it isn't reproducing in your body, you aren't going to be able to pass it on in any other than the most trivial ways (touching something else covered in the virus and then shaking hands, that sort of thing), and that will have only very short term potential.

Barrister

That's exactly what caused me to go get it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

A perfectly healthy woman in her 20s in Mission died of this last week.

The thing that really pisses me off are all the people that decide not to get vaccinated because they dont think they will be affected simply because they dont get the flu normally.   I am not so upset that they are idiots for not recognizing that they are in fact in jeopardy with this new strain.  What really pisses me off is that they are not thinking about all the people around them that might die because of this.

I am glad you have rethought the matter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

I may be wrong, but doesn't the vaccine prevent you from getting sick, but it does not really do anything to your capacity to be a carrier? In face, if you got sick you would probably go home or to a hospital, whereas if you are vaccinated and continue going around while the virus gets on you, you probably would have a bigger chance of infecting someone.

The less people that are sick, the less chance this will spread.