Bush family political heir is shipping off to war

Started by citizen k, October 27, 2009, 02:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Sahib on October 27, 2009, 12:52:19 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2009, 08:46:31 AM
Quote from: Sahib on October 27, 2009, 04:34:47 AM
It is?

Just to clarify, it's Russia with the mediocre economy, not Europe.

How is Russia a threat to Europe?

I marvel at the naivete this question reveals. We get a lot of your kind in Scandinavia aswell.

I blame the lack of focus on History in school.

A nation that has in one form or another been the Scourge of all that we hold holy and decent for over 800 years is in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking, determined to be completely harmless.

It boggles the mind.

Sahib

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2009, 12:53:02 PM

They can turn off your gas!

And what this got with this thread? Does having more fighting spirit or holding military in better esteem spontaneously create fossil fuels in your soil?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Sahib

Quote from: Slargos on October 27, 2009, 12:55:14 PM
It is?

I marvel at the naivete this question reveals. We get a lot of your kind in Scandinavia aswell.

A nation that has in one form or another been the Scourge of all that we hold holy and decent for over 800 years is in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking, determined to be completely harmless.

It boggles the mind.

It's not a question of intentions, but a question of means.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Sahib on October 27, 2009, 12:56:08 PM
Does having more fighting spirit or holding military in better esteem spontaneously create fossil fuels in your soil?

I'm afraid not.

It would be cool, though.

The arabs would have no oil, and Israel would be filthy oil rich.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

This thread will not meet the "Languish Gold Standard" until Martinus has weighed in on whether he is gay-HOTT.

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on October 27, 2009, 12:03:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2009, 11:54:49 AM
And the Swedes have led so many men into battle over these past 100 years.

:huh:

What does that have to do with anything?

You're making even less sense than usual.

How do you know your officers can lead anything?  There is nobody in living memory who's had to do anything like leading.  They are nothing more then bureaucrats with medals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on October 27, 2009, 01:06:39 PM
Raz fails at trolling Slargos.

I don't have to.  I have his true name.  I have power over him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2009, 01:58:59 PM
Quote from: Slargos on October 27, 2009, 12:03:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2009, 11:54:49 AM
And the Swedes have led so many men into battle over these past 100 years.

:huh:

What does that have to do with anything?

You're making even less sense than usual.

How do you know your officers can lead anything?  There is nobody in living memory who's had to do anything like leading.  They are nothing more then bureaucrats with medals.

Aside from the fact that you are deluded in your perceptions of what constitutes leadership and whether or not swedish units have participated in wars, you missed the entire part about technical skill and education, which by necessity weeds out "those who have failed everywhere else", especially since officers generally come out of military service with highly sought after skills in the private sector.

Iorm was wrong in his flippant remark, and you are wrong in your vacuous attempt at a followup.

Valmy

Quote from: Sahib on October 27, 2009, 12:56:08 PM
And what this got with this thread? Does having more fighting spirit or holding military in better esteem spontaneously create fossil fuels in your soil?

Maybe a mighty European army would conquer Russia and bring the joys of Western Civilization to the backwards masses while securing valuable natural resources?  Not sure really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

After the first strike European forces will just have to move in and secure the radioactive wasteland. Rounding up mutants and worse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pat

It is?

It boggles the mind.

Russian demographics are collapsing. If things go on the way they do now, Russia will go from 145 millions today to 90 millions by 2050, with a population pyramid turned upside-down, i.e. with many old and few young. Of course, their 20 million strong muslim minority is still having babies. I think they'll have enough to deal with at home.

Slargos

Quote from: miglia on October 27, 2009, 02:40:52 PM
It is?

It boggles the mind.

Russian demographics are collapsing. If things go on the way they do now, Russia will go from 145 millions today to 90 millions by 2050, with a population pyramid turned upside-down, i.e. with many old and few young. Of course, their 20 million strong muslim minority is still having babies. I think they'll have enough to deal with at home.

And the ravenous slobbering horde of russians replaced by a ravening slobbering horde of muslims is helpful how exactly?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: miglia on October 27, 2009, 02:40:52 PM

They're going to have millions of Chinese in a depopulated Far East to look forward to as well.

Iormlund

Quote from: Slargos on October 27, 2009, 02:22:14 PM
Iorm was wrong in his flippant remark, and you are wrong in your vacuous attempt at a followup.

Except the only place I said those things was in your mind. I'm neither against the military (quite the contrary) or talking about other European countries. I just confirmed that joining the military in Spain is usually reserved for losers.

Of course that is a generalization. Certain posts, such as piloting aircraft are sought after. And a lot are filled by people who have been immersed in the military for their whole lives or (frequently and) have certain sympathies: most officers I know are sons or grandsons of officers who served under Franco, the rest only attempted to enter the Academy after being left behind at high school.

The military has not been able to overcome the legacy of 40 years of dictatorship. Simple as that. It's telling that only now, with almost 20% unemployment, it can finally fill its recruitment goals.