US Senate adds gays to hate crime legislation

Started by Capetan Mihali, October 23, 2009, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2009, 04:18:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2009, 04:05:18 PM
The fact is that people are reasonably frequently attacked for being members of some identifiable religion, for being of some disfavoured race (disfavoured by the attacker at least), and for being gay.
I haven't kept up with my hate crime stats.  How frequently are we talking?

QuoteFBI statistics show there were 1,265 hate crimes based on sexual orientation in 2007, up from 1,017 two years earlier and 1,239 in 2003. That compares to 3,820 racially motivated incidents in 2007 and 1,400 in which the victim's religion was a factor.

http://www.gaylesbiantimes.com/?id=13770

If we consider that gay people make up between 5 and 10% of the population (which is much lower than the non-white people, not to mention religious people), these figures suggest they are more likely to be targeted than other minorities.

Also you have to feature in low reporting rates - the number of actual instance of violence against GLBT people is likely higher.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:34:41 PM
If we consider that gay people make up between 5 and 10% of the population

:lol:

Try again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

stjaba

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2009, 08:14:06 PM

Try again.

Does it really matter how small of a percentage gays are?
According to Wiki, Jews make up only 2% of the US population, but most people don't have a problem prosecuting anti-semitic hate crimes.

ulmont

Try again.

We had this conversation in a previous thread.  5-10% is a reasonable estimate.  I note that the self-identifying percentage in exit polls in the US has been 4% for 3 Presidential cycles.  Considering that gays willing to self-identify are usually younger, and that younger people vote less often than older people, a 5-10% range is not unreasonable.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:27:57 PM
Let me get this straight: they are saying that religion is immutable but that sexual orientation is?  :lol:
Isn't it?  Once upon a time, gay people used to grow up, you know?  These days, eternal childhood is considered a lifestyle choice.  It's always a choice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Also you have to feature in low reporting rates - the number of actual instance of violence against GLBT people is likely higher.
And whose fault is that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on October 25, 2009, 08:27:42 PM

Try again.

We had this conversation in a previous thread.  5-10% is a reasonable estimate.  I note that the self-identifying percentage in exit polls in the US has been 4% for 3 Presidential cycles.  Considering that gays willing to self-identify are usually younger, and that younger people vote less often than older people, a 5-10% range is not unreasonable.

It is unreasonable, since the max upper range is 5%, and not the lower end of the range.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2009, 09:14:23 PM

Try again.

It is unreasonable, since the max upper range is 5%, and not the lower end of the range.

Eh, I'd support a 4-8% range based on those numbers; what are you thinking?

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on October 25, 2009, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2009, 09:14:23 PM

Try again.

Link me to something (not Kinsey) that shows a 8% estimate.

2-4% is it.  I can't argue with it going as high as 5%, but nothing other than Kinsey (which is old and largely discredited) goes up to 10%.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2009, 09:42:17 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 25, 2009, 09:37:03 PM

Link me to something (not Kinsey) that shows a 8% estimate.

2-4% is it.  I can't argue with it going as high as 5%, but nothing other than Kinsey (which is old and largely discredited) goes up to 10%.

Well, the 8% would assume a 50% combined underreporting bias and underregistration bias.

But there are quite a few surveys listed here that are 7% plus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation#Modern_survey_results

Razgovory

While I'm not interested in what gays do I don't think we should make being gay a hate crime.  That doesn't make alot of sense to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on October 25, 2009, 10:02:05 PM
Well, the 8% would assume a 50% combined underreporting bias and underregistration bias.

But there are quite a few surveys listed here that are 7% plus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation#Modern_survey_results

Your link doesn't say what you think it says. :mellow:

Almost all of the surveys mentioned put the % of homosexuals at <5%.

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on October 25, 2009, 03:38:41 PM
It is true that some Republican Congressmen do oppose all hate crimes, but that's not my real objection.

Right I can get that part and I am even a little sympathetic to it.  They sorta lose all credibility when they start saying they are fine with hate crime legislation but just don't think committing crimes against gay people are hate crimes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on October 25, 2009, 10:02:05 PM

Only the ones that asked them if they had ever had a homosexual experience.  Which is a different question.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

I suppose that makes me gay also. *licks his lips and thinks distantly of Marcin*
Winner of THE grumbler point.