Obama orders pay cut for execs at rescued firms

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2009, 03:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2009, 02:04:27 PM
You would think so, but as it turns out MBAs run a lot of companies.  It seems that somebody thinks that they're worthwhile.
But the MBAs who only got the degree to make more money are not the guys you want running your company.  You want the ones who got their MBAs so they would qualify for the added responsibility and authority.  The guys only out for the cash will fuck up your company for the quick buck, and then bail out with a golden parachute.  They are the guys who got us all into this mess.
The powertrippers can mess you up just as bad.

Unfortunately, you can only guess as to what sort of MBA you are hiring.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2009, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2009, 02:04:27 PM
You would think so, but as it turns out MBAs run a lot of companies.  It seems that somebody thinks that they're worthwhile.
But the MBAs who only got the degree to make more money are not the guys you want running your company.  You want the ones who got their MBAs so they would qualify for the added responsibility and authority.  The guys only out for the cash will fuck up your company for the quick buck, and then bail out with a golden parachute.  They are the guys who got us all into this mess.
The powertrippers can mess you up just as bad.

Unfortunately, you can only guess as to what sort of MBA you are hiring.

Yeah, if I need a heart transplant, I want a surgeon who got into medicine because he wanted to help people and save lives, not one who went to med school just because doctors tend to make a really good living.  But there's really no way to know which type your doctor is.

And anyway, grumbler has largely set up a false dichotomy.  Most people with advanced degrees are motivated both by money and other factors.  I'm not saying that there are no people with advanced degrees who aren't motivated only by money, but I think that they're the exception.

Berkut

If I was having a heart transplant, I would want it done by some type-A asshole who is driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does, and I could not care less whether he "cared about people" or not.

Those are the experts - the driven ones. And money plays into that, if nothing else as a way to "keep score". The idea that someone driven by money/success is necessarily a bad manager is not exactly sensible.

The currency of success in business is money, at all levels.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2009, 11:51:52 AM
Yeah, if I need a heart transplant, I want a surgeon who got into medicine because he wanted to help people and save lives, not one who went to med school just because doctors tend to make a really good living.  But there's really no way to know which type your doctor is. 
Then, if one doctor refuses to transplant your heart for less than $5 million, and one will do it for $1 million, which do you choose?  :contract:

QuoteAnd anyway, grumbler alfred russel has largely set up a false dichotomy.
Since AR is the one who insists that most MBAs are money-hounds and not seekers of responsibility, I would guess you mean he has set up this dichotomy.  I never said that MBAs didn't seek money, just that it was not a motivator for all of them.

QuoteMost people with advanced degrees are motivated both by money and other factors.  I'm not saying that there are no people with advanced degrees who aren't motivated only by money, but I think that they're the exception.
Management research says this is untrue - that, beyond a certain level of wages that make it clear that your employer values you and is not exploiting you, money does not motivate very much.  Or, to put it another way, money (like all motivations) has diminishing returns, and those returns diminish faster for money than responsibility, amongst the kinds of people you want running your company.  Thus, it is better to go for the prospective executive who wants less money but more responsibility, than to pay an exec ten million and just hope that he or she doesn't bankrupt your company.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 11:55:46 AM
If I was having a heart transplant, I would want it done by some type-A asshole who is driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does,

I dunno, that guy may be more stressed out and prone to mistakes because of it. I'd want the guy who practices Zen an hour a day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

If I was having a heart transplant, I would want it done by some type-A asshole who is driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does, and I could not care less whether he "cared about people" or not.

Those are the experts - the driven ones. And money plays into that, if nothing else as a way to "keep score". The idea that someone driven by money/success is necessarily a bad manager is not exactly sensible.

The currency of success in business is money, at all levels.
As garbon would say, "this is what the poor people would say."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
If I was having a heart transplant, I would want it done by some type-A asshole who is driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does,

I dunno, that guy may be more stressed out and prone to mistakes because of it. I'd want the guy who practices Zen an hour a day.

If so, then he will fail at being a heart transplant surgeon, and won't be on my list anyway.

The ones who are great are the guys who thrive on stress. I know, because I watched Greys Anatomy once.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 12:19:13 PM
Thus, it is better to go for the prospective executive who wants less money but more responsibility, than to pay an exec ten million and just hope that he or she doesn't bankrupt your company.

Every prospective executive wants responsibility--hence the status as a prospective executive. I doubt there are many that want less money.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2009, 01:34:20 PM
Every prospective executive wants responsibility--hence the status as a prospective executive. I doubt there are many that want less money.
With the exception of the current AIG CEO and similar dollar a year men during WWII.:contract:

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 12:19:13 PM
Quote from: dps on October 30, 2009, 11:51:52 AM
Then, if one doctor refuses to transplant your heart for less than $5 million, and one will do it for $1 million, which do you choose?  :contract:

Probably whichever one my G.P. referred me to.

QuoteAnd anyway, grumbler alfred russel has largely set up a false dichotomy.
QuoteSince AR is the one who insists that most MBAs are money-hounds and not seekers of responsibility, I would guess you mean he has set up this dichotomy.  I never said that MBAs didn't seek money, just that it was not a motivator for all of them.

AR hasn't insisted that most MBAs are money-hounds and not seekers of responsibility, unless I've missed a post.  He's insisted that qualified people at the executive level expect a level of compensation that seems excessive to many people.

QuoteMost people with advanced degrees are motivated both by money and other factors.  I'm not saying that there are no people with advanced degrees who aren't motivated only by money, but I think that they're the exception.
Management research says this is untrue - that, beyond a certain level of wages that make it clear that your employer values you and is not exploiting you, money does not motivate very much.  Or, to put it another way, money (like all motivations) has diminishing returns, and those returns diminish faster for money than responsibility, amongst the kinds of people you want running your company.  Thus, it is better to go for the prospective executive who wants less money but more responsibility, than to pay an exec ten million and just hope that he or she doesn't bankrupt your company.

Not sure exactly what in the the rest of the above paragraph would demonstrate that my statement is untrue.  In fact, it would seem to support my point that most people are motivated by factors other than money (though I suspect that there are very few people at any level in any field who want less money, all else being equal).

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 12:21:38 PM
As garbon would say, "this is what the poor people would say."

I'm sorry, but you don't quite seem to have the hang of it. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2009, 12:16:47 PM
I'm sorry, but you don't quite seem to have the hang of it. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.
Or it is you that doesn't have the hang of it.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2009, 11:35:08 PM
Probably whichever one my G.P. referred me to.
Really?  You would pay an extra $4 million unnecessarily, just because your GP told you to?

Bullshit.

QuoteAR hasn't insisted that most MBAs are money-hounds and not seekers of responsibility, unless I've missed a post.  He's insisted that qualified people at the executive level expect a level of compensation that seems excessive to many people.
No, because the latter point is one I agree with.  The issue here is what kinds of people you want running your company:  those who want to run the company for the enjoyment of the challenge, and those who want to run it because they think they will make more money that way.  The former do not need to be compensated nearly as well as the latter, but will be much better for the company in other ways as well.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

You're both bad at it, as is Neil. A true blueblood gives so little thought to the poor that his insults are unintentional.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA