News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyer Question

Started by PRC, October 22, 2009, 03:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Do Lawyers usually bill for the time it takes them to figure out how much time they spent on a matter?

For example... you spend 20 hours on a matter.  It takes you 1 hour to calculate that you spent 20 hours on the matter. Do you then bill the client for 21 hours?

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on October 22, 2009, 03:16:59 PM
Do Lawyers usually bill for the time it takes them to figure out how much time they spent on a matter?

For example... you spend 20 hours on a matter.  It takes you 1 hour to calculate that you spent 20 hours on the matter. Do you then bill the client for 21 hours?

No.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

Thanks, that was my gut feeling.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on October 22, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
Thanks, that was my gut feeling.

What brings this question to mind?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Why do you think it takes any time to think about how much time it took to deal with a matter?  Typically lawyers write down their time as they do it (either on a pad and their secretaries enter it into an accounting system or the lawyers write the time directly into the system).  It takes seconds to do.

DGuller

Don't you then have to add up all those numbers that you wrote down?  I can see it taking an hour for an average lawyer.

PRC

Yeah, essentially I was just curious.  I know there are programs like PC Law that will handle much of the computing but on larger matters I imagine it could take a fair amount of time to figure out.

Barrister

I don't know where CC gets his "seconds" estimate - I wasted far too much time putting together bills in private practice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2009, 04:00:41 PM
Don't you then have to add up all those numbers that you wrote down?  I can see it taking an hour for an average lawyer.

It takes me 2-3 hours a month to figure out what the hell I meant when I scribbled down "Bob" on the pad and convert it into bill-ese.

alfred russel

I used to do that, under a vague category such as "job administration." But that was on consulting projects that would take at a minimum hundreds of hours.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Yeah, it takes a certain amount of time to do dockets (that is, translate my chicken-scratchings during the day into coherent sounding docket entries, and either dictate these or enter them).

I'd not dream of charging anyone for it, though. That's part of the administrative duties that make up unbillable time.

HVC

To the lawyers here, if you were working on two or more simlar cases in which much of the research you did applied to both cases would you bill them each for the full amount, or split it. ie if it took you 20 hours of work would you charge each client 10 hours or 20?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 22, 2009, 04:31:44 PM
To the lawyers here, if you were working on two or more simlar cases in which much of the research you did applied to both cases would you bill them each for the full amount, or split it. ie if it took you 20 hours of work would you charge each client 10 hours or 20?

That's easy: you'd bill it to the client with the bigger retainer.  :)

Billing twice for the same work however is a big no-no amongst lawyers.  It's called double-billing. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on October 22, 2009, 04:21:49 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2009, 04:00:41 PM

It takes me 2-3 hours a month to figure out what the hell I meant when I scribbled down "Bob" on the pad and convert it into bill-ese.
So much for my attempt to insult the legal field.  :(

ulmont

HVC: you split the time.

DGuller: there are standardized codes for the work being done, plus a narrative decription that has to be entered for each client / code combination for each day's work.  It's a pain in the ass.