Hoping the Phillies DON'T win the World Series.

Started by DontSayBanana, October 22, 2009, 08:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

QuotePhillies Look to Clinch As Police Brace for High-spirited Revelry
KYW Newsradio Team Coverage

The fans were getting ready for game five of the National League Championship Series on Wednesday night and had high hopes for a Phillies victory over the LA Dodgers.  Game time is 8:07pm.

KYW's Mike Dunn reports from City Hall on a word of caution on Wednesday from Mayor Nutter: should the Phillies clinch their second straight pennant tonight, any resulting revelry should be damage-free:

"Scream at the top of your lungs.  Jump up and down on the ground.  Don't act stupid, and don't do anything that's going to get you in trouble."

Mayor Nutter says he recalls all too well some of the post-championship havoc that happened last year (right), and he hopes that common sense would prevail on Wednesday night should the Phillies wrap up their league championship battle with the Dodgers:

"I know that Philadelphians and Philadelphia Phillies fans will conduct themselves in the most rational, reasonable, and responsible manner.  Otherwise, of course, there are consequences."

And the mayor dispatched crews down South Broad Street on Wednesday afternoon to remove expensive solar-powered trash cans and replace them temporarily with cheaper wire baskets. Crews were also greasing lightpoles in an effort to deter revelers from climbing the poles during a possible celebration.

Meantime, Nutter is taking issue with a Los Angeles Times columnist who wrote after the Dodgers' bitter loss on Monday night that the Phanatic is 'humorless and violent':

"I am outraged that anyone would attack the Phillie Phanatic."

No comment from the Phanatic.

KYW's Mark Abrams reports that you could feel the energy and the anticipation as fans waited for the first pitch.

A couple of diehard fans planted themselves outside the stadium early Wednesday morning. Joe Moskalow of Shamong, NJ was among them. Moskalow says he hopes to score a ticket to the pivotal game five:

"We're diehard fans. They might appreciate what we're doing, trying to get tickets."

(Abrams): "These are hard things to come by here."

"Oh yeah, the risk is worth the reward, though. So we'll see what we can do."

And if he and the others here don't get a ticket, that's okay, too. They'll sit outside the stadium with other diehard fans who just want to be near the action and share in the victory celebration if the Phillies capture the National League crown on Wednesday night.

---

KYW's Tony Hanson reports that in anticipation of a Phillies victory on Wednesday night, the Philadelphia Police Department was deploying additional officers in center city around South Broad Street to establish a safe environment for fans, property owners, and businesses alike.

Philadelphia police have been working with local colleges to enforce their zero tolerance message since students from the city colleges poured into center city last year, especially right after the World Series victory.

Temple spokesman Ray Betzner says they've encouraged students not to go into center city to celebrate after the game -- but whatever they do, to behave responsibly:

"The idea is that we want our students to be proud that they are in Philadelphia at this terrific, really exciting time. One of the reasons why many of our students come to Temple University is because they want to become a part of Philly, and this is a big part of Philadelphia.  So we want them to celebrate, but we want them to do so safely."

The City of Philadelphia has issued the following restrictions and recommendations:   

Property owners and businesses are being asked to survey their properties including loading docks, garage entries, and alleyways for any non-fixed or permanent items such as planters, valet or sale signs, unsecured or unlocked dumpsters, bike racks, etc.

The Philadelphia police are asking that those items be removed temporarily or secured from harm.

The city is removing the new solar trash cans and replacing them with wire mesh cans that will be chained to poles. Newspaper publishers are being asked to remove unsecured honor boxes (newspaper boxes) as an additional precaution. In addition, restaurants and bars have been asked to refrain from serving take-out beverages in glasses or glass bottles and to use plastic instead.

Lastly, parking restrictions will be in place on Wednesday evening, 6:00pm to 6:00am, along South Broad Street from City Hall to Locust Street, from 13th to 15th Streets, and on the cross streets in between.

In addition, parking will be restricted on North Broad Street from City Hall to Poplar Street.

http://www.kyw1060.com/Mayor-Issues-Warning-to-Revved-Up-Fans/5487304

I came across this because we were wondering why the trash cans had disappeared.  I figured it had to do with the Phillies, but I love the part about greasing the lightpoles; according to talk radio this morning, some people figured it out early on and tried to torch a few. :D
Experience bij!

Syt

Phillies - Yankees. That's like Syphillis - Cholera.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valdemar

Why are your trash cans solar powered? Do they light up? Burn the waste? Empty themselves?

V

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valdemar on October 22, 2009, 08:41:55 AM
Why are your trash cans solar powered? Do they light up? Burn the waste? Empty themselves?

V

They're compactors.  Center City was outfitted with outdoor compactors that are solar-powered.
Experience bij!

Savonarola

Celebratory riots give your city character.  Now get busy tipping those police cars over.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

I'd like them to win. Baseball needs a new dynasties.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

An acquaintance of mine accidentally (?) hit a cop in the head with a half-empty can of Budweiser during his ecstases, and paid for it severely with the blackjack.  :pinch:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

KRonn

Frigging idiots raising mayhem when their team wins. Celebrate, don't go crazy and cause damage and injury, sheesh.   <_<

Boston has had a couple of fatalities during such celebrations in the past decade or so. One was a person run down by a car, another a young woman killed by a police rubber bullet that hit her in the face.

alfred russel

I don't think the anyone needs to worry about the Phillies winning the series. Note with A Rod transforming into Mr. October. :bowler:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Tear gas and rubber bullets.  These assclowns don't reg their own stuff. They go after other people's property.  bastards don't deserve mercy.
PDH!

Neil

I would like the Yankees to win, because then the Yankees fans can insult the Red Sox fans, who are a million times more annoying.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 22, 2009, 09:28:54 AM
Tear gas and rubber bullets.  These assclowns don't reg their own stuff. They go after other people's property.  bastards don't deserve mercy.
Rubber bullets are inherently merciful.  The police should be firing dum-dums at the rioters.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

As long as fucking Red Sox fans are crying, I'm happy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 22, 2009, 02:15:46 PM
I would like the Yankees to win, because then the Yankees fans can insult the Red Sox fans, who are a million times more annoying.

:yeahright:

A pox on both their houses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.