Windows 7 as good as Vista (M$)

Started by viper37, October 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2009, 02:12:48 PM
It's your OS anyway, you paid for it, and you installed it.
No, it is not.  That is the meaning of "OEM version," and why it is cheaper.  It isn't your OS, you have simply paid to use it one time on a single machine.

While it may be true that the key resets itself after 4 months, or M$ allows you to call them and get the key reset, the license is clear as to what you are buying and what your product rights are, and clearly this is not "your OS" in the way the non-OEM version is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2009, 06:30:11 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2009, 02:12:48 PM
It's your OS anyway, you paid for it, and you installed it.
No, it is not.  That is the meaning of "OEM version," and why it is cheaper.  It isn't your OS, you have simply paid to use it one time on a single machine.

While it may be true that the key resets itself after 4 months, or M$ allows you to call them and get the key reset, the license is clear as to what you are buying and what your product rights are, and clearly this is not "your OS" in the way the non-OEM version is.

Yeah, but the way EULAs are written for pretty much any software (and some non-software stuff, as preposterous as that sounds), you almost don't "own" anything these days-- you just get a license to use it with a shitload of restrictions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2009, 06:30:11 AM

I still don't care.  I bought it.  It's mine.

However, I think an OEM license # will not work with a retail version (when you have more than one disc copy of Windows).  But IIRC, the language of the software does not matter (english keys works with french softwares and vice-versa).

Also, IIRC, you can upgrade from an OEM software to an upgrade version later on.
If I'm not mistaken, the EULA for the upgrade software does not prevent you from upgrading an OEM Windows.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Okay, so even though you can't upgrade directly from XP to 7, can you actually use an upgrade copy of 7 to install if you only have XP?

The box seemed to imply so...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I just got my copy.
I'm upgrading right now.

If you don't see me soon, call the tech police for I fear I'll sacrifice at least one computer to the Gods.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Well... that was quick!

I ordered Win 7 professional, and I can't install this on my machine with Vista Home Premium.  and of course, there's no way I can legally download Windows 7 if I'm not American.
Silly shit.  I'll have to order another DVD for this machine.  Let's see how it goes in the office...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

MS moves shit around needlessly in every iteration of every app they release.  Why?  Because it's a big company with too much in the way of middle management who need to propose changes to minutiae in order to be busy and thereby justify their continued existence.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 01:26:19 PM
Clean install? Upgrading = Death!

Fuck the clean install. It pisses my family off to no end.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 01:26:19 PM
Clean install? Upgrading = Death!
Read my lips:  NO FUCKING WAY.

Of course a clean install is probably better.  But it takes an awful lot of time too, reinstalling every single piece of software and every single driver, re-searching for every single serial number... no!  that'd be the death of me.

Upgrade will be the way to go.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2009, 01:25:06 PM
I ordered Win 7 professional, and I can't install this on my machine with Vista Home Premium.  and of course, there's no way I can legally download Windows 7 if I'm not American.
Silly shit.  I'll have to order another DVD for this machine.  Let's see how it goes in the office...

:pinch:  Always check the upgrade path before buying an upgrade version.

Ed Anger

I am now up and running on Win 7. Looks good so far.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2009, 03:52:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2009, 01:25:06 PM

:pinch:  Always check the upgrade path before buying an upgrade version.

I dunno - Viper knows computers pretty well, and he missed it...

Plus do you know what the Snow Leopard upgrade path was?  Anything -> Snow Leopard.  For $29.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.