Windows 7 as good as Vista (M$)

Started by viper37, October 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2009, 05:51:00 PM
Perhaps Zindows 7 *is* as good as Vista.

QuoteWill Your Phone Work with Windows 7?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354491,00.asp

I always love the premature OMG WINDOWS __ IS CRAP!  right when the OS is coming out.  It was particularly amusing with XP, which later turned into the bestest OS ever when Vista became the new whipping boy.

At any rate, I'm not sure what use I would have for this feature even if it worked for my phone.  I sync all my contacts, appointments, and work email with an Exchange server.  If I want to move any media, I just connect my phone & move stuff to its micro SD card.  I haven't had to sync directly with a PC since I had a Treo 650.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alatriste

I don't buy the '7 is as good as Vista' line... or the 'just the same happened with XP' either.

Vista is the very first Windows System that no one I know installed willingly on his PC (and I work in IT). Every person I know that bought a new PC minus one (and that one is a complete ignoramus) removed Vista as a matter of course.

Further, when Vista was new I did my round of blogs, articles, etc. If Ballmer says beta testers were enthusiastic, then he should have got new beta testers (and perhaps did)... the unanimous opinion was Vista had very serious issues. Slow, heavy, error prone and bothersome doesn't even start to describe them. Now I'm doing the same and 7 is getting far better results.

Scipio

Should I go the Windows 7 oem route?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on October 22, 2009, 07:24:49 AM
Should I go the Windows 7 oem route?
You save $50 but cannot transfer the program to new computers, nor get technical support.  If you are comfortable with those restrictions, then yes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

I got windows 7 pro for free through MSDNAA. My question is, should I put the 64bit edition on my laptop with only 1 Gb of memory? It runs Vista obnoxiously slow so it can't be much worse in that regard, but I'm worried about stability/compatibility issues.

Darth Wagtaros

I just bought a license for 30 bucks.  I'll make my decision and let ya'll know.
PDH!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2009, 07:28:58 AM
You save $50 but cannot transfer the program to new computers, nor get technical support.  If you are comfortable with those restrictions, then yes.

On NewEgg full versions are about twice the price of OEM versions, or more properly OEM versions are about half the price of full versions.

The other difference though is the full retail version includes both the 32 and 64 bit installs, whereas the OEM version is one or the other.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Maximus on October 22, 2009, 07:50:02 AM
I got windows 7 pro for free through MSDNAA. My question is, should I put the 64bit edition on my laptop with only 1 Gb of memory? It runs Vista obnoxiously slow so it can't be much worse in that regard, but I'm worried about stability/compatibility issues.

Apparently, you need 2GB to run 64-bit Win7; my laptop's at 3GB, so I think I'm going to stay at 32-bit until I can get some more RAM in.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

It's fairly Ironic that I am running into my first real technical problems with Windows 7 on the day of it's release.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2009, 08:30:39 AM
It's fairly Ironic that I am running into my first real technical problems with Windows 7 on the day of it's release.

Mine's supposed to ship as close to today as possible, but I'm gonna wait on an install for that reason- let some of the early installers put up the bug reports and let M$ come up with hotfixes.
Experience bij!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

What makes Win 7 whopper different from a regular whopper?  Less bugs in it?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2009, 09:09:32 AM
What makes Win 7 whopper different from a regular whopper?  Less bugs in it?

Read the article.  7 patties.

The full pic:
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2009, 01:31:51 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2009, 01:28:19 PM
  It's part of why I went Mac in the first place.
No it's not.  We all know you went Mac because you have a Brokeback Mountain fantasy crush on that hipster fag in the commercials.

:huh:

The best part of those commercials (which I do like) is the guy that plays the PC.  He gets all the good lines.

It's alright to embrace who you are, BB. you are a wonderful and fabulous human being and that's all that counts. :)

DisturbedPervert

Don't see any reason to change from XP.  Don't understand why people change OS unless something is wrong or it comes with a new computer.  I'll upgrade when Microsoft stops supporting XP and I can no longer run the programs and games that I want.