News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Test your geography skillz

Started by Eddie Teach, October 20, 2009, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

http://www.kongregate.com/games/crafics/globetrotter-xl

Nifty little game asking you to place cities on a world map. I've managed to beat it once, usually lose about level 8 or so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah I lost on level 8 too.  Neat little game though.

Capetan Mihali

Got to level 10, I don't know if I won or not.  I remember a similar game called Geosense being posted here a long time ago, you could play against other people on the internet.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

15,000 on my first try.  They list some funky city in Iran that I've never heard of before, though.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Level 8 here as well.  Once you lose the boundaries, pinpointing cities in the middle of the continent gets to be a crapshoot, to say the least.  I got at least a 90 accuracy on every one of the 10 cities, but I still wasn't close enough to get the bonus.

Lettow77

Beat it, although I knew where gabon was better than Los Angles. My yankee geography is horrible.

For me, at least. All my geography is up to a good standard.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Slargos

:blush:

As long as I stay in the civilized world I'm fine, but with the barbaric parts of Asia and South America, in addition to most of Africa, I am completely lost.

Magadan, Russia on lvl 3? I mean W T F? Who the hell has heard of that place?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Slargos on October 21, 2009, 03:41:15 AM

As long as I stay in the civilized world I'm fine, but with the barbaric parts of Asia and South America, in addition to most of Africa, I am completely lost.

It's a province in EU2.  :rolleyes:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Slargos

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 21, 2009, 03:45:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 21, 2009, 03:41:15 AM

It's a province in EU2.  :rolleyes:

From which I derive most of my locational knowledge. I've never played Russia long enough to colonize the far east though, so I: Failed.  :blush:

Eddie Teach

Well, I've gotten to the point I can fairly reliably beat it, as having seen the same city enough times I'll get x5 instead of x3 or x3 instead of x1. The ones that are troublesome are the larger countries- Russia, China, Brazil, Argentina, and Indonesia. You can remember a city is in northern Brazil and still get x1 score. The US ones can be a bit tough on the later maps as well; I'm always trying to put Omaha too far west and Tucson too far north for instance.

Monoriu

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 20, 2009, 09:48:18 PM
Beat it, although I knew where gabon was better than Los Angles. My yankee geography is horrible.

For me, at least. All my geography is up to a good standard.

garbon is in San Francisco not LA.   :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Got to level.  Closest place I got was Rostock Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2009, 05:31:51 AM
Got to level.  Closest place I got was Rostock Germany.

You're missing a key word.

Winkelried