So how soon do funerals usually happen after the death, anyway?

Started by MadImmortalMan, October 19, 2009, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Grandpa MIM died on Saturday, and now I'm told the funeral will be on Wednesday. In Columbus. Which is logistically problematic for me for obvious reasons. Is this normal for it to be so quick?

Also:  :cry:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Sorry. :console:

...and yes.  Princesca could not attend her grandfather's funeral for this same reason (he died while we still lived in Boston).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

The more important the person the longer the wait.  For instance Hobos go in the same night.  Lincoln spent weeks riding around the country before burial.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2009, 06:19:15 PM
The more important the person the longer the wait.  For instance Hobos go in the same night.  Lincoln spent weeks riding around the country before burial.
Actually, a very good point.

I expect to be buried before I die...and I missed the lecture about breaking through the wooden casket and tunneling to the surface.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Inside of a week I think.

For obvious reasons - you want the deceased's body to be put to rest, not sitting in a meat locker at a funeral home.

The First Nations of Yukon bury people quickly, but the big celebration is the headstone raising ceremony held a year after the death.  Just for a different perspective.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 19, 2009, 06:16:42 PM
Grandpa MIM died on Saturday, and now I'm told the funeral will be on Wednesday. In Columbus. Which is logistically problematic for me for obvious reasons. Is this normal for it to be so quick?

Unless there are suspicious circumstances, its normally this quick in Britain.

I can recall missing my own Grandmother's funeral due to this; admittedly, this was due to me having chickenpox rather than for logistical considerations.

And, may I add my own commiserations for your loss. :console:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 06:39:27 PM

For obvious reasons - you want the deceased's body to be put to rest, not sitting in a meat locker at a funeral home.

The First Nations of Yukon bury people quickly, but the big celebration is the headstone raising ceremony held a year after the death.  Just for a different perspective.

That's not a bad idea actually.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

It depends on the family.
Most people prefer to wait on week-end, to let relatives from outside the city the opportunity to come.
But some others decide that's it's not worth the wait and they do it during week-days.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 06:39:27 PM
Obvious reasons for doing it quickly, yes.
Obvious reasons for doing it in the middle of the week instead of 2-3 days later, no, I don't think so.

do they bury them in winter?  Here, we usually wait for the spring to schedule the burial.  The ceremony is held within one week-one week an a half, but the actual burial will often wait until the ground is unfrozen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2009, 07:24:10 PM
do they bury them in winter?  Here, we usually wait for the spring to schedule the burial.  The ceremony is held within one week-one week an a half, but the actual burial will often wait until the ground is unfrozen.

I don't know.  I think they bury them in the winter, as backhoes can dig in even frozen ground.

Back during the goldrush thugh they'd dig a whole bunch of extra wholes in the fall, trying to guess how many they'd need.  Apparently th big long rows of empty graves were somewhat chilly to passersby...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Oh, and sorry for the flippant answer...my grandfather was a rock, his loss still causes aches...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, it is usually that quick here too; missed a couple that I wanted to attend due to that.

A memorial service can be held at a later date I suppose, a celebration of the deceased's life with the initial shock of bereavement gone and plenty of time for planning.

Commiserations for your loss. I lost my favourite grandparent 37 years ago (Grandpa), it was the first death to touch me and I'm still pissed off about it.

Valdemar

It could possibly also be determined by availability of a priest?

My grandma wanted to be buried next to my grandfatehr, in the same church, by the same priest.

As the Church in weekends often is fully booked by weddings and christenings, then a mid week day is often chosen.

V

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.