News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freebies poll

Started by Martinus, October 16, 2009, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone offers you a choice of one of two freebie refreshments. One is considerably more expensive/valuable than the other. Do you...

...choose the more expensive refreshment; you can easily buy the cheaper one later if you want it, but you may not be able to afford the more expensive one that easily.
4 (8.7%)
...choose whichever you fancy more, irrespective of whether it is more or less expensive one.
40 (87%)
...choose the less expensive one; you don't want to appear as if you went for the more expensive one just because it is expensive.
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2009, 12:18:58 PM
Yes, I think you should use Shame as the epitome of what it means to be American.

It's true; I don't even like freedom fries. :contract:
Experience bij!

dps

:huh:   It would never even occur to me to chose anything other than the drink I prefer. 

I have a hard time seeing this as the "upper class option", given that however you define "upper class" it doesn't include me.    <_<

C.C.R.

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 16, 2009, 09:05:13 PM
It also depends on who's offering, when, and where. very specific rules apply in these situations. I went with #2 because of this.

Agree 100%.  It's all situational.  I would never choose the more expensive option just because it's free, but I would probably choose the more expensive option if I prefer it to the less expensive option.

There are people out there that offer you a choice to seem polite, but are secretly hoping that you take the cheaper option.  There are also people out there that honestly want to do something nice for other people & taking the cheaper option just to be polite might upset them.  There's also the case of people that drink Coors Light or other such swill that are offering you the Guinness that somebody left in their fridge just to get rid of it, in which case you are actually doing them a favor by taking the more expensive option.  I've encountered all of these situations in life, and I've also been the one offering all of these situations at various points (well, insert "PBR" for "Coors Light"  :P ).

Every day is Anything Can Happen Day.  To try to pidgeonhole people is pretty narrow, IMO...

garbon

Generally when I am offered a drink, the person just asks me what I would like, not a which one-of-the-two situation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2009, 09:52:27 PM
Generally when I am offered a drink, the person just asks me what I would like, not a which one-of-the-two situation.

Your friends keep everything stocked?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The US is the land of New Money.  If you can afford to eat/sleep there, you don't have to worry about impressing the staff.