News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freebies poll

Started by Martinus, October 16, 2009, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone offers you a choice of one of two freebie refreshments. One is considerably more expensive/valuable than the other. Do you...

...choose the more expensive refreshment; you can easily buy the cheaper one later if you want it, but you may not be able to afford the more expensive one that easily.
4 (8.7%)
...choose whichever you fancy more, irrespective of whether it is more or less expensive one.
40 (87%)
...choose the less expensive one; you don't want to appear as if you went for the more expensive one just because it is expensive.
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

BuddhaRhubarb

It also depends on who's offering, when, and where. very specific rules apply in these situations. I went with #2 because of this.
:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on October 16, 2009, 08:44:47 PM
You do realise you skewed the results of this poll with your explanatory post, don't you?

Not really. The poll is skewed because people regardless of "class" will generally not be thinking about the price when offered a drink.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

I want to say I'd take the 2nd option, but in reality I'm sure I would go with the third. I'm so middle class. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2009, 03:45:31 AM
I want to say I'd take the 2nd option, but in reality I'm sure I would go with the third. I'm so middle class. :(

Precisely. That is why it is so funny.

Josquius

Whatever I fancy.
This would be something which costs over water on 99% of occasions but meh.

In a instance like this hotel though unless they underlined the complimentary I'd probally be too scared to get anything but water. Like the time I was at a restaurant on my birthday and they offered me a fre; I made sure they meant free before saying voda and coke.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

I double-check that it will indeed be free before accepting, but I do accept because it'd be rude not to.  That said, my inner lower-middle-class-ness usually gets all knotted up over people inconveniencing themselves on my behalf.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2009, 08:04:37 AM
I double-check that it will indeed be free before accepting, but I do accept because it'd be rude not to.  That said, my inner lower-middle-class-ness usually gets all knotted up over people inconveniencing themselves on my behalf.

Ok see, this is another thing. For me double-checking if this is really free before accepting would be the crudest thing ever, and I'd sooner die before I ask that.

I guess you Americans are much more open/straightforward about it - for me it would be the height of bad form.

Slargos

I'm in this position fairly routinely as we spend a lot of time on company-sponsored outings.

My instinctive reaction is generally that I don't want to look greedy, but I know of course that no one cares since we are out to have fun so I always pick what I want without considering the price, which in turn often means something I haven't tried before, the reason of which is often because it is an exotic item whose price seems high in relation to the return.

IE, I don't want to look greedy, I pick what I prefer regardless of price, but it often comes out being the pricier alternative.

Thus, all of the above.  :D

Edit: Or actually, the thought process is usually, "Well. That looks nice. Oh shit. It's the most expensive one. I wonder if I will look like a greedy asshole now. Nevermind. It looks nice."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2009, 08:06:54 AM
Ok see, this is another thing. For me double-checking if this is really free before accepting would be the crudest thing ever, and I'd sooner die before I ask that.

I guess you Americans are much more open/straightforward about it - for me it would be the height of bad form.

I'm never quite that direct about it, unless the perceived status gap is HUGE.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Lacks 'I don't give a shit what other people think' option.

Slargos

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 17, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

That's actually simply a more crudely worded option #2 and thus redundant.  ;)

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Slargos on October 17, 2009, 08:34:46 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 17, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

That's actually simply a more crudely worded option #2 and thus redundant.  ;)

errrr...I guess I read that too fast before responding  :blush:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2009, 08:06:54 AM

Yes, I think you should use Shame as the epitome of what it means to be American.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
The "high class" thing to do would be to take what you fancy regardless of price. Any other position implies that you are considering the price.

The middle class thing to do would be to take the cheap option, to show you are politely not making yourself a parasite.

The low class thing to do would be to take the expensive stuff.

What is this? Reposting For The Hard Of Thinking?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alatriste

I guess sheer curiosity would make me choose the champagne, just to see which brand did they serve their customers.