News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama's Strategy Shift in Afghanistan

Started by OttoVonBismarck, March 27, 2009, 11:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Link

QuoteWASHINGTON – President Barack Obama unveiled a new Afghanistan strategy that calls for devoting significant new resources to counter-narcotics efforts in Afghanistan and economic development in Pakistan, according to senior U.S. officials.

QuoteUnder one facet of the plan, U.S. or Afghan troops will first offer Afghan farmers free wheat seed to replace their crops that produce opium. If the farmers refuse, U.S. or Afghan personnel will burn their fields, and then again offer them free replacement seeds. A senior U.S. military official described the approach as a "carrot, stick, carrot" effort.

This is interesting.  I'm actually in total agreement with Obama's approach here, it's more than obvious at this point that Europe isn't going to ever have the stomach to commit a meaningful amount of actual soldiers to southern Afghanistan. 

As far as burning the fields of Afghani farmers, that's a can of worms.  I think it is a can of worms worth opening as denying the Taliban opium income would severely hurt their overall situation.  It's hard to fight a war when you can't buy weapons.  At the same time though, on the local level, no one likes the United States coming in and burning your fields.  The farmers, the families of the farmers, the communities that rely on these fields will most likely be more entrenched ideologically as Taliban supporters after this.

Offering them wheat seed is all well and good, except the Taliban will most likely brutally murder any farmers that accept that offer and while I'm not farmer or drug dealer I am willing to bet you make more money per acre growing poppy plants than you do wheat.  I still think it is the right thing to do, I just wonder if people have the stomach for it.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

He's finally posted more than just about gamersgate. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The field burning idea would be a disaster.

KRonn

I support Pres Obama over all in his plans to put more efforts into Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Maybe he can take this on, try to bring it to a better  situation, after the Bush admin kind of left it in limbo. I just hope he's serious enough to stick it out when the going gets tough and the detractors clamor more loudly for us to leave.

Tamas

lol if you burn the fields of farmers you will make them your eternal enemy. It is much cheaper to just give the keys to the Taliban and go home.

Valmy

What would be the alternative to burning the fields?  Buy up all the harvest?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 12:20:45 PM

I don't think that would encourage them to stop planting poppy.

US Rep: Hey, we need you to quit growing poppy.
Afghani farmer: Oh really? And what if I don't
US Dude: We will buy it from you!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2009, 12:25:17 PM

Well we could compensate them for it.  But yeah I do not really see another option besides buring fields or letting them sell the poppy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fate

Hey, hey, BHO, how many kids did you kill today?  :menace:

Admiral Yi

Heroin is a much bigger problem in Europe than it is in the US.  Let them come up with a solution.

Fate

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 12:27:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2009, 12:25:17 PM

Well we could compensate them for it.  But yeah I do not really see another option besides buring fields or letting them sell the poppy.
Buy the poppy. Sell what we need for medical purposes, and burn the rest?

The Brain

You already do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2009, 11:10:21 AM
The field burning idea would be a disaster.

Yes.

"Hi, we're foreign and have a problem with street heroin. So we're going to offer you the opportunity to plant wheat and drastically reduce your income. Failing that, we'll burn down your crops, and then again give you the opportunity to drastically reduce your income."
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller