News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shooting a few blocks from our house

Started by merithyn, October 13, 2009, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

This is about four blocks from our house.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2009/10/13/more_questions_few_answers_in_champaign_death

QuoteCHAMPAIGN – Members of the black community mourned one boy's death and called for another 15-year-old to be released from juvenile detention Monday.

Kiwane Carrington died Friday afternoon after being shot in a scuffle with police. Another youth, whose name has not been released, is still being detained and will have a juvenile court appearance today. Such appearances are not open to the public.
Advertisement Ladies Night 2009

Laura Manning, the mother of the boy still in custody, said at a Monday press conference that her son is a slight youth who has not reached his full height.

She said he was not a threat to a police officer who, along with Police Chief R.T. Finney, confronted him and Mr. Carrington at about 1:20 p.m. Friday after a neighbor called 911 to report a possible burglary at 906 W. Vine St., C.

The boys had been let out early from READY school and went to a house where Mr. Carrington had stayed last summer, and was a frequent visitor.

At a press conference Monday at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, Debra Thomas, who lives at the Vine Street house, said the teen was a good boy and was welcome at her home. A 911 caller had said the two boys were trying to get into the house through doors and windows, and officers responded.

When the boys did not do as ordered by the police, a scuffle ensued, and the unidentified officer's handgun went off, according to police. He was placed on paid administrative leave, Deputy Chief Troy Daniels said on Friday.

Police were not commenting on the accusation Monday.

"When the facts are in, the city plans to be fully open and transparent about what happened," Mayor Jerry Schweighart said Monday in a prepared statement. He said the investigation, led by the Illinois State Police, could take several weeks.

"This has been tough on our community, and our sympathy goes out to everyone involved," the mayor added.

Kenesha Williams, Mr. Carrington's sister and guardian, was at the press conference. Family members said he was a good kid who had been troubled in the last year, after his mother died of pancreatic cancer.

Thomas also praised the young man, and asked, "How was it burglary when he was welcome there?"

She said police, not burglars, had damaged her house, including breaking off the back door.

Family members also said they were not notified of the young man's death for several hours.

Community leaders called for more openness from the police about the investigation into the shooting.

"Everybody is edgy. There are more questions than there are answers," said Champaign County NAACP President Jerome Chambers. "How do we stop our black boys from dying where the authorities are the ones in question?"

Activist Terry Townsend said relations between Champaign police and the black community were at a breaking point.

"Our relations are no good after today," Townsend said.

He called for community members to address the Champaign City Council on Tuesday. But City Manager Steve Carter told The News-Gazette that the council's agenda is set and while the community is welcome to attend, there would be no room on the agenda for comments about the Friday incident.

The council is scheduled to have dinner at 5:15 p.m. and then the meeting, which will not be televised, is set to begin about 6 p.m. at the Illinois Terminal, 45 E. University Ave. Carter encouraged those with concerns about the shooting to come to the city council's meeting on Oct. 20.

On Monday afternoon, meanwhile, the city called an emergency meeting of the Champaign Community and Police Partnership. The group is an organization of city and black community leaders that meets monthly to seek ways to improve relations.

"Today's meeting is in response to a situation none of us want to see again," Carter said. "All of us are saddened."

"This impacts the entire Unit 4 family," said Champaign schools Superintendent Arthur Culver. "Staff members are hurt, and there is a lot of grieving going on."

Chambers, a member of the partnership, said the family members of the two boys are distraught.

"How long does the African-American community need to wait before it can trust law enforcement? It is time for us to give a damn about what happens to African-American youths and take our heads out of the sand. We can't continue to offer condolences and pass the buck. You can't tell me the police will get away scot-free on this."

Champaign activist Martel Miller said Mr. Carrington's death could have been avoided.

"I call this a public execution of a child," Miller said. "What is the solution? This boy will not be coming back."

Partnership member and former Champaign County Board chairwoman Patricia Avery said black mothers constantly fear for their children's welfare.

"No other mother in the world has to deal with what black women with black sons have to deal with," Avery said. "We don't rest when our boys are out."

Mr. Carrington's step-uncle, Seon Williams, said local ministers need to "step to the table" to address issues concerning young people in their congregations to prevent a repeat of Friday's incident.

"I want to see this doesn't happen to any more young people in the community," Williams said. "There are a lot more guys like Kiwane out there from broken homes and dysfunctional homes who need help. We need to get proper counseling for the young man who is incarcerated."

"There's a lot of anger, because there are not a lot of answers out there right now," Avery said. "This child's death should not go in vain."

There will be a candlelight vigil at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at 906 W. Vine St., C.

Friends of the family will be setting up an account to accept donations toward funeral expenses.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jaron

Oh my GOD, are you okay? How is Juice or whatever your youngest is called?

And Kiwane? :huh:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

merithyn

Pronounced kee-WAN-ee.

Meh, we're all okay. I didn't even know it happened until well after it was all over. We heard the sirens, but it's not unusual to hear them near the school. Honestly, I'm more concerned with how this is going to affect the racial relations in the area. Our school is more than 55% African-American, some of whom are incredibly volatile on the best of days. Whitey is in for some rough times, me thinks.

Josquius

Americaaaa fuck yeah :punk:

It is always weird when stuff like this happens near home.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

So why the hell are you living in a black neighborhood anyway?

merithyn

We live on the white side of the street.  -_-

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on October 13, 2009, 06:56:45 PM
Hmm, interesting.  Personally I live on the white side of the state. :goodboy:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I live on the white side of the national border, which is why shit like that doesn't happen here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2009, 08:01:24 PM
I live on the white side of the national border, which is why shit like that doesn't happen here.

Watch Neil get tomahawked in a drive-by next week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2009, 08:03:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2009, 08:01:24 PM

Watch Neil get tomahawked in a drive-by next week.
No danger of that.  I live in a large city, which means that the immigrants have mostly exterminated the Indians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

yeah it's scary out there. A guy got set on fire up the street here on the weekend - Initial reports assumed he was homeless (inferring some kind of mitigation or rationale to the sociopaths who did it) but it turns out it was just some guy who got too wasted and saw a sofa and tried to catch a nap. He actually only had minor burns... but still I bet he got sober pretty quick. It's one thing to wake up outside after getting blotto, another to wake up on fire.
:p

Scipio

It's not a shooting.  It's an extra-projectilary lead experience.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Rasputin

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 13, 2009, 06:56:45 PM
Hmm, interesting.  Personally I live on the white side of the state. :goodboy:

Does Kentucky have more than one option?
Who is John Galt?

MadBurgerMaker

A few months ago, some Girl Scouts were robbed about 4 blocks away from where I live.  I'm fine, don't worry about it.