PSA: Deals on Computer Stuff

Started by derspiess, October 13, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Figured we might as well have something similar to the game deals thread.

I'll start it off with Newegg's deal on an OEM version of Win7 Home Premium 64-bit for $99 shipped.  Won't ship until 10/22 of course.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

So if you get it OEM, basically the only difference is you can't get Microsoft tech support (big deal) and can't swap out your motherboard, correct?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Don't forget about the 30 dollar Windows 7 for students offer.

http://www.win741.com/

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:41:22 AM
So if you get it OEM, basically the only difference is
#1-  you can't get Microsoft tech support (big deal) and
#2 - can't swap out your motherboard, correct?
#1 - True.
#2 - Only in theory.

The license prevents you from installing the OS on another computer.  But you can still do it and it works fine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2009, 10:27:25 AM
The license prevents you from installing the OS on another computer.  But you can still do it and it works fine.
But Microsoft registers MAC addresses when you register Windows online, correct?  If so then how do you get around this?  Just call them up and lie?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2009, 10:27:25 AM
But Microsoft registers MAC addresses when you register Windows online, correct?  If so then how do you get around this?  Just call them up and lie?

They don't explicitly say "you can't use this if you swap mobo" because it's still the same computer with a new part; they just force you to call up and tell them that so they can activate it manually.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 13, 2009, 10:55:57 AM
They don't explicitly say "you can't use this if you swap mobo" because it's still the same computer with a new part; they just force you to call up and tell them that so they can activate it manually.

I haven't been put in this situation with Vista, but I did have to call a few times when playing around with XP after I had maxed out the number of activations :blush:  Once I answered about 3 differently-phrased questions that I did not have the OS installed on a different computer, they activated it for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

What is the official deal with upgrading from Vista? Do you have to have an upgrade coupon to get it for free, or is it just a matter of having bought it within some time frame?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2009, 12:55:44 PM
What is the official deal with upgrading from Vista? Do you have to have an upgrade coupon to get it for free, or is it just a matter of having bought it within some time frame?
No, not every purchase automatically qualifies.  I don't know why some do and some don't.  I bought Princesca a laptop in August that didn't qualify for the free upgrade despite having Vista Home Premium preinstalled.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2009, 12:55:44 PM

You do need a coupon.  Bought if you bought one after July 21st (?) and think you should have gotten a coupon or lost yours, contact the retailer & ask if they can get you another coupon. 

AFAIK, practically every retailer was offering this on all Vista PCs with the exception of those that had Vista Home Basic.

Berkut

April 28th.

I am rather annoyed, since I was going to skip buying Vista and just use XP, but a friend of mine said MS was going to give free upgrades to anyone who bought Vista after some date that was preceeding the date he told me, so I went ahead and grabbed Vista.

Oh well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

I asked this in another thread, but since you guys are discussing upgrades...

I want to upgrade to Win 7 on my Mac.  I might just take this deal.

I have a laptop, currently with Vista.  I don't know if it's Vista, or if it's all the bloatware/malware, but it runs like crap.  But rather than pay $100 for 7, I'd like to take the copy of Win XP currently on my Mac, and install it on the laptop.

Can I do this?  Or will anti-piracy stop it from happening?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2009, 01:44:59 PM

I have a laptop, currently with Vista.  I don't know if it's Vista, or if it's all the bloatware/malware, but it runs like crap.  But rather than pay $100 for 7, I'd like to take the copy of Win XP currently on my Mac, and install it on the laptop.

You might have to be slick about it if it doesn't activate for you automatically-- call in & tell them you had to swap the motherboard for the pc the xp license had been installed on.

But I would also give Vista a fair shot on the laptop-- clean the crap off of it or do a clean install.  It might not be as bad as it appears to be.

grumbler

Today only at http://www.woot.com/ - a refurb HP 2009m 20" LCD monitor for $104 bucks shipped.  NewEgg has the non-refurb job for $155 shipped.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2009, 08:17:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2009, 01:44:59 PM

You might have to be slick about it if it doesn't activate for you automatically-- call in & tell them you had to swap the motherboard for the pc the xp license had been installed on.

But I would also give Vista a fair shot on the laptop-- clean the crap off of it or do a clean install.  It might not be as bad as it appears to be.

I'm not sure if I can find the install disk, and it ran like crap from day one (although I think it's worse now).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.