Nepal's maoists disapprove of Nobel literature prize selection

Started by Pat, October 12, 2009, 12:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Nepal Maoists disapprove of Nobel for German author

9 Oct 2009, 1559 hrs IST, IANS

Print   EMail   Discuss  Share  Save  Comment Text:

KATHMANDU: Nepal's former Maoist guerrillas have denounced the award of the 2009 Nobel Prize in literature to German author Herta Mueller by the 
Swedish Academy Thursday, saying it reflected the institution's growing bias towards the communists.

The 56-year-old ethnic Romanian writer experienced persecution and censorship under the repressive Nicolae Caeusescu regime in Romania and her writing focuses on living in a dictatorship steeped in corruption and intolerance.

"An anti-communist gets the Nobel Literature Award," Maoist mouthpiece Janadisha daily said Friday commenting on the award.

"In the past too, Nobel prizes were awarded to people who are against the communist philosophy and movement," the daily said.

"Some people have rejected the Nobel prize in condemnation of the Swedish Academy's anti-communist bias."

The Swedish Academy's decision Friday to nominate US President Barack Obama for the 2009 Nobel Peace prize would also sting the former guerrillas.

Even though the Maoists ended their insurgency three years ago and led the government for eight months after winning an election, the Obama government has still kept them on its watch list of terror organisations.

(http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/Nepal-Maoists-disapprove-of-Nobel-for-German-author/articleshow/5105945.cms)

---

Is the Swedish academy too biased against communism? Discuss.

The Brain

Odd. Everyone knows that the people who hand out the Prizes are Communists. Just ask Berkut.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Maoist? what is this 1970? Nobody cares about Mao anymore. he's more passe than Che.
:p

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alexandru H.

She is not ethnic Romanian, she is a German from the Banat region. The only link the Romanians have with the Nobel prize is the fact that they forced communism into her throat and forced her to flee the country back in 1987.

Syt

Who the fuck is Herta Müller? That's about as generic a female German name as possible.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pat

Berkut

Not that I am aware of. Has someone been posting in my name?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Syt on October 12, 2009, 12:57:47 PM
Who the fuck is Herta Müller? That's about as generic a female German name as possible.

She is a "svab". Pretty mediocre but it was 20 years after the 1989 events and they had to give it to an anti-communist writer.

Gunther Grass is the last worthy writer that got the award...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 12, 2009, 12:43:19 PM
Maoist? what is this 1970? Nobody cares about Mao anymore. he's more passe than Che.
Doesn't look as good on T-shirts.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould