News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

VRWC weakening?

Started by Jaron, September 27, 2009, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

What about the miniscule moderate conspiracy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2009, 10:23:34 AM
What about the miniscule moderate conspiracy?
The MMWC? Good point!   :cool:  Maybe that should really be the VMWC - Vast Moderate Wing Conspiracy, since that's probably the largest group of all.  Moderates, or maybe a better term is Centrist? 

citizen k

QuoteTea partiers turn on GOP leadership,back insurgent conservatives
Alex Isenstadt, Politico

While the energy of the anti-tax and anti-Big Government tea party movement may yet haunt Democrats in 2010, the first order of business appears to be remaking the Republican Party.

Whether it's the loose confederation of Washington-oriented groups that have played an organizational role or the state-level activists who are channeling grass-roots anger into action back home, tea party forces are confronting the Republican establishment by backing insurgent conservatives and generating their own candidates — even if it means taking on GOP incumbents.

"We will be a headache for anyone who believes the Constitution of the United States ... isn't to be protected," said Dick Armey, chairman of the anti-tax and limited government advocacy group FreedomWorks, which helped plan and promote the tea parties, town hall protests and the September 'Taxpayer March' in Washington. "If you can't take it seriously, we will look for places of other employment for you."

"We're not a partisan organization, and I think many Republicans are disappointed we are not," added Armey, a former GOP congressman.

In Florida, where the national party has signaled its preference for centrist Gov. Charlie Crist in the GOP Senate primary, tea party activists are lining up behind former state House Speaker Marco Rubio in reaction to Crist's public backing for President Barack Obama's stimulus package.

"We were very disappointed with Gov. Charlie Crist when he supported the stimulus, the bailout, and he appeared publicly with President Obama," said Everett Wilkinson, a South Florida-based organizer for Tea Party Patriots. "The opposition comes from Crist's support for the largest spending plan ever and the environmental policies he's pushing on the American people."

Rubio has already made appearances at Florida tea parties, and protesters have been seen waving signs declaring, "Anybody but Charlie Crist." He also has Armey's endorsement, and Armey headlined a Dallas fundraiser for him several weeks ago.

Wilkinson said that the tax status of his Florida-based group limits what it can do to assist Rubio in the August 2010 primary. But he said the organization would launch an aggressive get-out-the-vote operation and issue a report card grading each candidate appearing on the ballot.

Tea party activists are also lining up behind challengers to GOP establishment-backed Senate candidates in Colorado and Connecticut. In California, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina — like Crist, another National Republican Senatorial Committee-favored Senate contender — is the target of tea party animus in her primary against conservative state Assemblyman Chuck DeVore.

"My impression is that the support among tea partyers for DeVore is high," said Mark Meckler, a California-based organizer for Tea Party Patriots. "I hear nothing but praise for the guy."

Tea party organizers say their resistance to Republican Party-backed primary candidates has much to do with what they perceive as the GOP's stubborn insistence on embracing candidates who don't abide by a small government, anti-tax conservative philosophy.

"It's an outgrowth of the frustration people have had with the Republican Party," said Andrew Moylan, director of governmental affairs for the National Taxpayers Union, another group that has played a large role in organizing the tea party movement. "I think a lot of people have been angry at Republicans for betraying our trust."

"I think the GOP establishment has ignored their constituents and the feelings of their constituents for years," added Meckler.

It's an unusual predicament for the Republican Party, since the conservative-oriented issues that animate Tea Party activists once seemed destined to make the movement a valuable auxiliary to the Republican Party.

While there's little evidence of tea party activist support for Democratic candidates, the specific notion of electing a GOP majority hasn't ranked high on their agenda either.

At the recent "Defending the American Dream Summit," a conservative event held in Arlington, Va., a breakout session featuring tea party organizers saw panelists peppered with questions ranging from how to start up political action committees and 501(c)(3) organizations to whether it was necessary to hire lawyers.

"Nothing is going to change unless we can get politicians elected who can implement fiscally conservative policies," Teri Adams of the Philadelphia-based Independence Hall Tea Party Association, which will be launching a political arm, told those in attendance.

In a handful of states, tea party activists have zeroed in on House Republican incumbents and have launched primary challenges in protest of their past support for the controversial Wall Street bank bailout.

One of those activists, Canyon Clowdus, an Army veteran who is taking on third-term conservative Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas), has blasted the incumbent for making "a horrible mistake" in voting for Troubled Asset Relief Program.

"He has put a financial burden on my four children that will amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars each," Clowdus says of Conaway on his campaign website.

"I think it was a bad, bad political decision," Armey said of the 34 Senate Republicans and 91 House Republicans who voted for the TARP bailout, "and if you talk to grass-roots activists, it has become a political test for them."

Moylan agreed that TARP is "really kind of the flash point that started all of this."

"People are paying attention and are willing to hold these people accountable," he said.

For some, supporting insurgent campaigns or waging primary bids just isn't a strong enough signal to send to a Republican Party that has abandoned core conservative policies.

Erick Erickson, founder and editor of the influential conservative blog RedState, has urged tea party activists to "put down the protest signs" and stage takeovers of local Republican parties."Grass-roots activists need to start infiltrating the party," said Erickson. "The only way to start getting [the establishment] back is to start pounding them with every fist we have."

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 06:47:22 AM
Ah, an intelligent conservative. How rare!
Voting for Clinton over Dole isn't intelligent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 09:42:20 PM

It is brilliant.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

With the tea baggers going after moderate Republicans and Michael Moore gunning for Blue Dogs it should make for an interesting primary season.

Fireblade

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 09:42:20 PM

Dole is my fraternity brother. If I had been of voting age in 1996, in theory I would've been obligated to vote for him.

In practice?

Are you serious? Bill is the greatest governor Arkansas has ever had, and one of the greatest Presidents America has ever had. We should put him on the Supreme Court, start naming carriers after him, carve his face on Mt. Rushmore, and build a massive monument in D.C. Fuck Bob Dole, Clinton was awesome.

Fate

Neil has a thing for wrinkly older men.

Eddie Teach

Clinton was getting wrinkly around the eyes when he was elected Pres. Also, the great majority of pols are wrinkly old men. Not real sure what your point is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fireblade

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2009, 12:37:36 AM
Clinton was getting wrinkly around the eyes when he was elected Pres. Also, the great majority of pols are wrinkly old men. Not real sure what your point is.

Staging the greatest political comeback in Arkansas history, and then becoming the longest serving governor in our history would make anyone wrinkly-eyed.

Clinton is a living legend and the greatest American politician alive today, and I will not stand idly by while anyone disparages his name.  :mad:

Fate

Quote from: Fireblade on October 12, 2009, 12:45:58 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2009, 12:37:36 AM

Staging the greatest political comeback in Arkansas history, and then becoming the longest serving governor in our history would make anyone wrinkly-eyed.

Clinton is a living legend and the greatest American politician alive today, and I will not stand idly by while anyone disparages his name.  :mad:

Neil is a dirty Canadian. You can't really expect much from them.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Fireblade on October 12, 2009, 12:21:34 AM

Dole is my fraternity brother. If I had been of voting age in 1996, in theory I would've been obligated to vote for him.

Damn, and I thought eating the soggy cracker was the hard part

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Strix on September 28, 2009, 06:26:12 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2009, 09:36:49 PM
:lol:

Typical Steeler mouthbreathing douche.

Don't hate just because your team only has a pinky ring. I am sure to most Raven's fans a Safire is a pretty set of Walmart earrings they give their shorties.

:lol:

You fucked up the " 's" in Ravens.
Typical Steeler mouthbreathing douche.

Maximus

BuddhaRhubarb

:p