And we're back!

Main Menu

Afghan Strategy

Started by citizen k, October 12, 2009, 02:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2009, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 12, 2009, 11:15:34 AM
Berk - bang on with that last post.  I have no idea how AF can make a reliable, national force AND pay for it.
Legalize heroin worldwide?
Wouldn't that cause prices to crash once agribuissness jumps on the bandwagon?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 01:21:58 AM
Kicking ass?

More like, it's an uphill battle and the Afghans have to be dragged along kicking and braying.

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Jos Theelen

Isn't it time to think about non-military solutions?

An example: people who know afghanistan say it has a closed economy, mainly producing agricultural products and opium. The trade of those product is controlled by the warlords, who have all the reason to keep that system in place. Farmers are mainly dependent of those warlords.

So you could undermine this system, by giving the farmers a guaranteed price for their products. It gives them the economic security, so they produce less opium, and make them less dependent of the warlord. Also it pumps money from below in economy, not from above through the corrupt government. It would undermine Taliban activities, who get their money from opium production. And it would make farmers and their families far more positive to the US.

It would also cost probably a lot less money and lives.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Armyknife on October 12, 2009, 08:06:54 PM
I'm going with Alci. assessment over whatever agiprop. Hansie comes up with

I don't think Alci and I have a differenting position on the situation in Afghanistan.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2009, 07:26:00 PM
A few years ago you were saying that Afghanistan was pretty much a lost cause anyway.

It's always cute when you make shit up.

Jaron

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 13, 2009, 07:00:00 AM
A few years ago you were saying that Afghanistan was pretty much a lost cause anyway.

I always hear that high pitched voice when I read your posts. ^_^
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 13, 2009, 07:00:00 AM

What ever you say. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

There was this caricature in my local paper this morning.  :P

http://photos.cyberpresse.ca/caricatures/#enVedette/0/recherche/Rechercher%20un%20album/0/onglets/51/0/album/7017/170155/

The general says: "Without reinforcements we will quickly lose the war!  With 40 thousand soldiers more we will lose it very slowly".

This sums up the afghan debate IMO.  We should pull out.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grallon

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 13, 2009, 11:47:30 AM
You already are.  :mellow:

If you mean canadians - most certainly not; 2011 is the last estimated date for redeployment.  That is unless Harper doesn't justify an extension.

If you were talking about something else than be more clear.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grallon on October 13, 2009, 08:45:25 AM
There was this caricature in my local paper this morning.  :P

http://photos.cyberpresse.ca/caricatures/#enVedette/0/recherche/Rechercher%20un%20album/0/onglets/51/0/album/7017/170155/

The general says: "Without reinforcements we will quickly lose the war!  With 40 thousand soldiers more we will lose it very slowly".

This sums up the afghan debate IMO.  We should pull out.

Personally, I fund newspaper cartoonists to be a poor source of strategic advice, but YMMV.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 12, 2009, 07:20:04 PM
Well besides the obvious of hearing guys in the wire, or experiencing it.  Losing communications with your guys, "finding" your soldiers that are KIA, whether they were dead when they were overwhelmed.

When he's speaking about having all their sensitive items, radios etc.  God knows what was done to their bodies, or in their final seconds.

Can't imagine how things completely went down, I doubt they were all in body armor even, most were probably sleeping when it started.  But if the TOC and ammo supply point are overrun, usually these are the most heavily defended areas and are strong points. 

The guys were most likely fighting in small groups, not even coordinated for the most part in a situation like that, and training is hard to use when you're never supposed to be exposed to a situation like that against overwhelming odds practically by yourself.  The guys that died must have been terrified and and felt very alone. 

I mean honestly, it has to have been the scariest thing you can ever encounter.  I mean my cop was attacked several times, but nothing like this, let alone numbers.  And I've been in heavy combat for a hours at a time , and it felt like forever, and you're exhausted after.  I can't imagine being in combat for upwards of 20 hours straight.  And if a commander is freaking out over the radio, which he definitely was....these guys are supposed to be the cool of cool, regardless of situation, must have been blood chilling to hear over the radio.  I'm sure it looked like hell.

Hearing of the battle rosters being called over the radios, been there, brings back terrible memories.  Hearing KIA over the radio and then listening for the initials to hear if it's someone you know or are really good friends with.... can't really describe it.

Being overrun is really the scariest thing you can think of as a soldier, especially by our current enemy...Don't really know what else to say besides that.

Lots of little stuff like that I guess, brings back some things I guess.
Thanks for the info and insight. That article was a pretty harrowing account to read.  :(

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 12:00:54 PM

Personally, I fund newspaper cartoonists to be a poor source of strategic advice, but YMMV.

We had our little snide moment of the day?  We are feeling better now?

-----

At this point I look at the results in the field and they are very limited - diminishing in fact considering the talibans are gaining ground.  Another quick military victory turned sour for lack of long term planning.  But beyond there's the fact these 'people' aren't interested in changing so why waste time, money, lives?  Ah yes... to prevent terrorism from gaining a foothold.  Too late since they have it next door in (nuclear) Pakistan. 

Will there be another war with that sir?

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 12, 2009, 11:52:39 AMThe moment the "unwinnable" war in Iraq was won they now proclaim Afghanistan unwinnable and are preparing for surrender.  No surprise there.
I think you go too far here by a little bit.  Its a fairly complex mixture of isolationism, various misconceptions about Afghanistan and Afghan history (its unconquerable, its a culture less wasteland that's never produced anyone/anything of value) and some stupid Euro idea that America is the source of all evil in the world.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."