News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Complete - Cheap ?

Started by Armyknife, October 09, 2009, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on October 12, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Hm, I wonder if it will run on Vista 64....
Yes.  I've played quite a bit of it.
PDH!

saskganesh

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 11, 2009, 09:38:46 PM
I've never played it.  Is it a game that would still be enjoyable after 10 years, or would one mostly just play it now for the nostalgia value?

yeah it's worth a play. maybe some of the best atmosphere created for a game ever. BUT it's still civ 2.5 in the end, so the end games get pretty tedious if you pick the world conquest path.
humans were created in their own image

dps

Quote from: saskganesh on October 13, 2009, 07:40:26 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 11, 2009, 09:38:46 PM
I've never played it.  Is it a game that would still be enjoyable after 10 years, or would one mostly just play it now for the nostalgia value?

yeah it's worth a play. maybe some of the best atmosphere created for a game ever. BUT it's still civ 2.5 in the end, so the end games get pretty tedious if you pick the world conquest path.

Overall, I still think Civ2 (without some of the later expansions) was overall a better game, but, yeah, AC had a great atmosphere, which makes it seem to be in a truly alien setting.

Valmy

I have long held to faith that AC would continue to work and entertain me forever.  Then I tried to install it on Vista.  *Sigh* my unfailing capacity to believe what I prefer to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me.  I longed for a caring Universe which will save me from Firaxis' childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary I pinned all my hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Alpha Centauri 2 has not been proven to not to be in development, therefore it must be in developement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 13, 2009, 03:48:14 PM
Are you.... drinking heavily ValmeisterV?

Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 03:52:20 PM

Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.
A nice little theory for a universe of only 12 dimensions. If only we lived in one. :(
PDH!

Barrister

So the answer is yes then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Vince

Will we next create false Gods to rule over us?  How proud we have become and how blind.

Lucidor

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 03:45:52 PM
I have long held to faith that AC would continue to work and entertain me forever.  Then I tried to install it on Vista.  *Sigh* my unfailing capacity to believe what I prefer to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me.  I longed for a caring Universe which will save me from Firaxis' childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary I pinned all my hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Alpha Centauri 2 has not been proven to not to be in development, therefore it must be in developement.
It is every game's duty to go into the recycling tanks.

Darth Wagtaros

Greed ensures the transfer of wealth from the gamers to the developers.  :(
PDH!

Lucidor

We hold game to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of game consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is game so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Lucidor on October 14, 2009, 02:26:58 PM
We hold game to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of game consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is game so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?
In the case of Paradox games I don't think there is any question that it not only brooks it, but requires extensive tampering.
PDH!

Pedrito

WTF you guys made me reinstall the game   <_<

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: