News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should I feed my dog high quality dog food?

Started by Caliga, October 07, 2009, 09:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So this looney toon I went to high school with bugs me all the time on FB chat about my dog (I'm pretty sure she had a crush on me back then or something, which prolly explains her interest in the minutiae of my life).  Anyway, she just got done admonishing me about not feeding my dog dog food that costs $50 a month. :frusty:

The dog food I currently use is mostly lamb meat but, HEAVENS FORFEND, contains.... grain! :o

Should I seriously spend the big bucks on my dog or just tune her out?  The stuff I buy now is like $37 a month so it's not like I'm feeding him Alpo or some slop like that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

I am of the opinion that what we humans regard as high quality food may not be considered such by the dogs.  Therefore, we should not waste money on it. 

I vote buy even cheaper stuff for the dog.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2009, 09:09:27 PM
I am of the opinion that what we humans regard as high quality food may not be considered such by the dogs.  Therefore, we should not waste money on it. 

I vote buy even cheaper stuff for the dog.
Princesca would: overrule me.  :blush:

Actually, I'm sure you understand. :)

Monoriu

The other night my wife showed me a magazine article about the cost of dog clothing. 

Her point?  People spend more money on dog clothes than I spend on human clothes for myself   :D

Caliga

She also bought him a forest camo doggie jacket with a hood.  "WOLVERINES!!!!"

Admiral Yi

Dogs don't give a shit.  That's cat lover nonsense.

DisturbedPervert

What's wrong with grains?  Dogs need them.  Homemade dog food recipes always include rice or potato or something in addition to meat, eggs, and veggies.

katmai

Cal,

from what i've read, grains are okay, but stay away from corn.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

At least he dog isn't eating at the gas station.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Dogs eat leftovers, sometimes supplanted by offal and meat with dogfood making up the difference when the above is lacking.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Bring him freshly slaughtered cattle parts.  Mixed with whole grain. 
PDH!

Josquius

Dogs are omnivores, they need and like stuff other than meat (though of course like any sane human meat is their favourite part of the meal).
Couldn't you give him standard shit most of the week then give him a treat once or twice a week?
And of course I hope the dog is allowed your leftovers- my dog loves it when my mam makes steak pie as that means she (the dog) gets to scrape the tin clean.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Pet food is far more highly regulated and better balanced than most human food. The Science Diet stuff vets recommend for cats and dogs over here is dry (good for teeth but must be served with water) but expensive. there are own-brand versions about.

If he eats it and isn't showing any signs of, erm, dietary distress, you're probably OK.