News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flash

Started by Josquius, October 07, 2009, 10:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've decided to try and learn to use flash, its supposidly relativly simple a programming language (so I can hopefully actually make some sort of game) and it has online uses beyond that too which...would be good.
I've got the program but it all seems a bit dense- you've got a tiny little box in the middle where you're supposed to paint a frame and...what? huh?

So, could anyone recommend a good book on flash?
██████
██████
██████

PRC

Designing a game will get you into Action Script and that kind of thing.  I work in Flash and it is tricky to learn, but once you learn it it all seems pretty simple. 

To start just stay away from Web Design aspects (button programming, etc) and Action Script specific books.  Go to the library and get a book that focuses on graphics manipulation, animation, and timeline stuff.  I don't have a book recommendation in specific but if you try and find a book focusing on those things that will give you a good start.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Hmm. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, since Flash is one of my weak points as well.
Experience bij!

Jos Theelen

Why not starting with some of the zillion examples you can get on internet. You learn a lot from examples of other flash-programmers.

Josquius

Quote from: Jos Theelen on October 07, 2009, 01:26:17 PM
Why not starting with some of the zillion examples you can get on internet. You learn a lot from examples of other flash-programmers.
'cos I can't find a good bare beginners one.
And with books studying feels more like studying.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

I hoped this thread was about the legendary English cad, Sir Harry Paget Flashman.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I had hoped it was about the hilariously campy Queen song.  :)

"FLASH!!!! AAAAH-HAAAA!  HE'LL SAVE EVERY ONE OF US!!!!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

I'm gonna second the complaint about tutorials; back in the day, I more or less taught myself QBasic, Visual Basic, and Pascal by going the tutorials route, but the good Flash tutorials just don't seem to be out there. Everybody either throws a lot of jargon at you right at the beginning or focuses on one specific task that teaches you nothing about the workflow of Flash. I've found nothing structured or comprehensive that takes you through steps of a project to arrive at a compiled .flv file.
Experience bij!

Pishtaco

There's a good tutorial on getting started with Flashdevelop and AS3 here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2630.0

A Flash game I made: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=7684.0

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 06:21:33 AM
I hoped this thread was about the legendary English cad, Sir Harry Paget Flashman.
Read the Ciaphus Cane books.
PDH!

Josquius

Darn flash is weird... :frusty:
I guess it was originally designed just for videos?

My cool game idea will never come to be, even looking for code to steal and subtly alter gets me nowhere.
██████
██████
██████