News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MoD 'how to stop leaks' document is leaked

Started by Brazen, October 05, 2009, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteThe Defence Manual of Security is intended to help MoD, armed forces and intelligence personnel maintain information security in the face of hackers, journalists, foreign spies and others.

But the 2,400-page restricted document has found its way on to Wikileaks, a website that publishes anonymous leaks of sensitive information from organisations including governments, corporations and religions.

Known in the services as Joint Services Protocol 440 (JSP 440), it was published in 2001. As Wikileaks notes, it is the document that is used as justification for the monitoring of certain websites, including Wikileaks itself.

Under the section "Leaks of Official Information", it says: "Leaks usually take the form of reports in the public media which appear to involve the unauthorised disclosure of official information (whether protectively marked or not) that causes political harm or embarrassment to either the UK Government or the Department concerned...

"The threat [of leakage] is less likely to arise from positive acts of counter-espionage, than from leakage of information through disaffected members of staff, or as a result of the attentions of an investigative journalist, or simply by accident or carelessness."

The document is particularly keen to avoid the attentions of journalists, noting them as "threats" alongside foreign intelligence services, criminals, terrorist groups and disaffected staff.

As far as traditional espionage and intelligence threats go, the document singles out the Chinese as having "a voracious appetite for all kinds of information; political, military, commercial, scientific and technical."

However, it is "very different to the portrayal of 'Moscow Rules' in the novels of John Le Carre". The Chinese agencies do not "run agents", but instead "make friends", as befits intelligence officers in the Facebook era.

Wikileaks was also behind the memorable leaks of the British National Party membership list, the operating procedures at Guantanamo Bay and the secret workings of the Church of Scientology.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6261756/MoD-how-to-stop-leaks-document-is-leaked.html

KRonn

But the 2,400-page restricted document has found its way on to Wikileaks, a website that publishes anonymous leaks of sensitive information from organisations including governments, corporations and religions.

Ouch.....    :huh:

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

As still the biggest leak is still outthere. Under appreciated employees do not care.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I always wanted to write a 2,400 page document.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Bluebook

Quote from: The Brain on October 05, 2009, 12:45:19 PM
I always wanted to write a 2,400 page document.
I cant speak for 2400 pages, but writing an 800 page document is overrated.

Agelastus

I wonder if it was "accidentally left on a train".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Just start executing people.  That'll stop the leaks in a hurry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2009, 12:20:12 PM
As still the biggest leak is still outthere. Under appreciated employees do not care.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Maybe it was found in a handbag in the cloakroom at Victoria station.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

There is no need to get too earnest about this essentially trivial matter.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on October 05, 2009, 02:30:40 PM
Just start executing people.  That'll stop the leaks in a hurry.

I guess this will depend on the method of the execution. Some leave stains.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 05, 2009, 03:17:46 PM
Maybe it was found in a handbag in the cloakroom at Victoria station.
QuoteThere is no need to get too earnest about this essentially trivial matter.

Well played.  :bowler:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

PJL

Nothing serious - after all the Russian already know our secrets.... :lmfao: