News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Frightening Exercise

Started by Phillip V, March 26, 2009, 12:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Sometimes when I am scared, my hearts beats rapidly. Theoretically, if I keep getting scared for 30 minutes, would that be a beneficial cardiovascular workout in any way?

Valmy

That is your fight or flight response.  Any benefits in increasing your heart rate are offset by your body doing things like shutting down your immune system to preserve energy for combat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Laughing gives more mileage then fright.

The Brain

I find katmai both amusing and terrifying.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

syk

Doesn't work as people aren't able to be physically agitated by fear over a long time. The agitation simply drops after a while. That's how expositions for angst patients work.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on March 26, 2009, 12:30:42 PM
Really only true at night.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2009, 06:05:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 26, 2009, 12:30:42 PM
Really only true at night.

Or at cookouts. When attracted by the smell of food, Katmai raids the picnic area.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on March 26, 2009, 12:05:05 PM
Sometimes when I am scared, my hearts beats rapidly.

What the fuck are you getting scared about? What are you, an infant?

Phillip V

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2009, 07:20:53 PM
Sometimes when I am scared, my hearts beats rapidly.

What the fuck are you getting scared about? What are you, an infant?
Is that "infant" bit a quote of something?

The only way I could think of being sufficiently freaked out is watching Blue Velvet or The Night of the Hunter on a few tabs of acid.  And the idea of using acid as an exercise (ie something supposed to make you more healthy) is a little weird. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Sometimes when I am scared, my hearts beats rapidly. Theoretically, if I keep getting scared for 30 minutes, would that be a beneficial cardiovascular workout in any way?

I think you'd have to continuously be having worse experiences to remain frightened that long, otherwise you would adjust to the situation and become inured to the horror.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2009, 07:50:15 PMAnd the idea of using acid as an exercise (ie something supposed to make you more healthy) is a little weird.

It was used in psychotherapeutic settings. :unsure: