Wash Post: Obama postpones meeting with Dalai Lama to avoid upsetting Chinese

Started by stjaba, October 05, 2009, 09:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2009, 11:05:24 AM
What the point of coming right out and telling them we don't care anymore is rather beyond me.

?

They are just postponing the Tibet meeting until after the China meeting.  Experience has taught that visting China shortly after meeting the Dalai Lama results in being cold shouldered and nothing getting done.  And the US has some urgent business to take care of with China right now.

The legit question to ask is how this schedule arose in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2009, 11:05:24 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2009, 11:02:08 AM
Prioritizing the strategic relationship with China over human rights concerns has been US policy since Nixon.

Of course - that doesn't mean we haven't simultaneously pressured China over human rights concerns. It's not like you can only do one or the other, although it seems like the Obama administration is clearly signalling that the pressure is off.

The sad thing is that it won't work. Of course, I am not sure the pressure ever worked either. They seem pretty impervious to that kind of thing.

What the point of coming right out and telling them we don't care anymore is rather beyond me. More of the careful and mature foreign relations we have come to expect, I imagine.
When they became our primary debtors as well as a major trading partner it was probably impossible to apply any worthwhile pressure.  We are locked in an economic death embrace.
PDH!

Agelastus

Quote from: Warspite on October 05, 2009, 09:45:04 AM
It's a shame that many European commentators cannot tell the difference between a hegemon and an empire.

That requires a better historical education than the world deems appropriate today...

As for Obama's decision, Minsky has raised an excellent point as the fact that the scheduling should never have happened in the first place.

However, once the scheduling had been made, changing it expresses weakness. I am getting more and more of a vibe of "Obama the appeaser" from his foreign policy decisions of the last couple of months. Sometimes that works, but sometimes...well, we all know what you get the rest of the time.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Scipio

Quote from: Fate on October 05, 2009, 11:34:39 AM
What does Obama gain by meeting with some two bit theocratic dictator for life?

Oh my god, I'm agreeing with Fate. :cry:
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Didn't he meet with the Pope?

Caliga

Richard Gere's vote is IMPORTANT.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 05, 2009, 11:40:29 AM
When they became our primary debtors as well as a major trading partner it was probably impossible to apply any worthwhile pressure.  We are locked in an economic death embrace.
Guess what percentage of Treasury debt is held by the Chinese.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2009, 09:35:13 AM
Quote from: Kleves on October 05, 2009, 09:32:31 AM
That's CdM's cue to start tell us how the Chicoms really arn't so bad after all.

Yeah, this should be interesting to see. How can Seedy reconcile his man-love for Obama with his infinite contempt for the Chi-coms?

Quite frankly, I've been growing increasingly more disenchanted with Mr. Academic as the weeks and months have gone by.

Bush may have driven the foreign policy into the guard rail, but at least it was still on the fucking road.  Mr. Academic has the left blinker on, slowing down at yellow lights, going down the wrong exit ramp with the parking brake locked.

Very disenchanted.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2009, 11:02:08 AM
Prioritizing the strategic relationship with China over human rights concerns has been US policy since Nixon.

There's a substantial difference in allowing the Chinese to save face with their little fetishes, and then there's taking it up the Tiger Penis Soup.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2009, 04:40:04 PM
5%
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2009, 04:40:04 PM

Depends.  You talking real money, or politically driven artificially undervalued money?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2009, 05:29:57 PM
Chinese internal migration is rapidly making Tibet a moot point.

Chinese colonisation is rapidly making Tibet a moot point.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2009, 05:29:57 PM
Chinese internal migration is rapidly making Tibet a moot point.

Yes, much like the endangered species of big cats, elephants, rhinos and sea turtles they insist on eradicating for pelts, ivory and voodoo "traditional medicines", the Chinese will make sure Tibetans are extinct in our lifetime.

Enjoy all those "Grandpa, what was a Tibetan?" conversations with your grandchildren.