News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cooking question

Started by Caliga, October 07, 2009, 07:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Is there a significant difference between red and brown lentils in terms of prep time as well as taste/texture?

Tonight I'm making a lentil stew that calls for red lentils, but Princesca just texted me from the supermarket that she could only find brown lentils there.

I'm 100% certain that I can get red lentils at the Indian supermarket down the street from my office, but it seems as though she went ahead and bought them anyhow.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

You should've told her not to come home until she bought the right kind of lentils.  They always want to take the lazy way out.  :rolleyes:

KRonn

No idea if there's a difference. Maybe search the internet for some quick info on cooking lentils, and any differences.

HisMajestyBOB

Try it and find out!
Where's your sense of adventure?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

Red go mushy quicker, brown hold their shape and have a more earthy flavour. Cook red for 25 mins, brown for 45. Or get them ready cooked in tins and just tip 'em in :P

My suggestion? Ditch the lentils and make a beef stew like a decent omnivore :)

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on October 07, 2009, 08:04:05 AM
My suggestion? Ditch the lentils and make a beef stew like a decent omnivore :)
I've eaten too much red meat lately, owing to the huge sauerbraten I made last week.  Got four meals out of it. -_-

Monoriu

Grey Fox

You start thinking about your dinner early.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I had 2 Micky D's hamburgers without pickles.

Therefore, I cannot answer your question, unless it involves hamburgers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

I cant recall having red lentils.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2009, 03:49:52 PM
I cant recall having red lentils.
I think it's the variety of lentils Indians typically serve, so if you'd had a lentil dish off of an Indian buffet there's a good chance you've eaten them.