8 US soldiers, 7 Afghans killed in outpost attacks

Started by CountDeMoney, October 04, 2009, 10:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

All Americans that think this war is no longer necessary can go suck cock.  We need to continue Taliban eradication, macht schnell.

Quote8 US soldiers, 7 Afghans killed in militant attack on outposts in remote eastern Afghanistan

LORI HINNANT
Associated Press Writer

7:40 AM EDT, October 4, 2009

KABUL (AP) — Militant fighters streaming from an Afghan village and a mosque attacked a pair of remote outposts near the Pakistani border, killing eight U.S. soldiers and as many as seven Afghan forces in one of the fiercest battles of the eight-year war.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack for coalition forces since a similar raid in July 2008 killed nine American soldiers in the same mountainous region known as an al-Qaida haven. The U.S. has already said it plans to pull its soldiers from the isolated area to focus on Afghan population centers.

Fighting began around dawn Saturday and lasted several hours, punctuated by American airstrikes. Jamaludin Badar, governor of Nuristan province, said the two outposts were on a hill — one near the top and one at the foot of the slope — flanked by the village on one side and the mosque on the other.

Nearly 300 militant fighters flooded the lower, Afghan outpost then swept around it to reach the American station on higher ground from both directions, said Mohammad Qasim Jangulbagh, the provincial police chief. The U.S. military statement said the Americans and Afghans repelled the attack by tribal fighters and "inflicted heavy enemy casualties."

Jangulbagh said that the gunbattle included U.S. airstrikes and that 15 Afghan police were captured by the Taliban, including the local police chief and his deputy. A Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said a council would decide the fates of the police, confirming the capture of the two top local officers.

Badar said five or six Afghan soldiers died, as did one policeman.

Afghan forces were sent as reinforcements, but Jangulbagh said all communications to the district, Kamdesh, were severed and he had no way of knowing how they were faring Sunday. The area is just 20 miles (30 kilometers) from the Pakistani border and 150 miles (230 kilometers) from Kabul.

"This was a complex attack in a difficult area," U.S. Col. Randy George, the area commander, said in the American statement. "Both the U.S. and Afghan soldiers fought bravely together."

Jangulbagh said the bodies of five enemy fighters were found after the battle.

U.S. Capt. Elizabeth Mathias, a military spokeswoman, said American forces continued to man the outpost and there was scattered fighting early Sunday. She said was unclear if the attackers were Taliban or from another group linked to them.

She said American officials were working with the Afghan army to relay messages to Afghan forces in the area.

Separately, a roadside bomb southwest of Kabul killed a U.S. service member on Saturday, Mathias said.

Nuristan, bordering Pakistan, was where a militant raid on another outpost in July 2008 claimed the lives of nine American soldiers and led to allegations of negligence by their senior commanders. Army Gen. David Petraeus last week ordered a new investigation into that fighting, in which some 200 militants armed with machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars pushed their way into the base, which is no longer operating.

Badar said he had sought more security forces for Kamdesh district. He said Taliban fighters had fled to Nuristan and neighboring Kunar province after Pakistani forces drove many extremists from the Swat Valley earlier this year.

"When there are few security forces, this is what happens," he said.

He also complained about a lack of coordination between international forces and Afghans.

The U.S. statement said the attack would not change previously announced plans to leave the area.

Afghanistan's northeastern Nuristan and Kunar provinces are home to al-Qaida bases as well as those of wanted terrorist Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, whose military chief Kashmir Khan has been unsuccessfully targeted by U.S. missiles over the past eight years. Kamdesh district has no regular cell phone or landline contact and few roads, dirt or paved. Local security forces communicate by handheld radio.

The region was key for Arab militants who battled alongside Afghan warriors during the 1980s U.S.-backed war against invading Russians because it is a rare place in South Asia where the Wahhabi sect of Islam is practiced — the same sect followed by Osama bin Laden and most Saudis.

Many Arabs remained in Afghanistan, marrying Afghans and integrating themselves into local society. Many also belonged to Hekmatyar's Hezb-e-Islami group, now sought as terrorists by the U.S.-led coalition.

Bin Laden also considered the region a useful hiding ground, his former bodyguard, Naseer Ahmed Al-Bahri, told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview in Yemen.

It sits directly across the border from Pakistan's Bajaur Agency, where bin Laden's No. 2, Ayman al Zawahri, was last seen.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Slargos

The world will be a good place when the last american is torn to pieces in the suicide attack of the last filthy arab.

God hates the US, you know, for your faggotry ways.

Jaron

Time to bring the home. Afghan soil isn't nearly valuable enough to be worth anymore American blood.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on October 04, 2009, 06:07:08 PM
Time to bring the home. Afghan soil isn't nearly valuable enough to be worth anymore American blood.
Given that the stocks of American blood are at an all-time high, I would say that its value is actually rather low.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2009, 06:28:10 PM
Hire Mexicans, they're cheaper.

You haven't met a whole lot of US soldiers, have you?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2009, 06:28:10 PM
Hire Mexicans, they're cheaper.
Everything else is outsourced. Only a matter of time until Mexican-Blackwater takes over fighting the war.
PDH!

Lettow77

How many must die before they realise you cant be King of Kafiristan?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 04, 2009, 08:08:04 PM
How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a man?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Queequeg

Afghans aren't Southerners.  Afghanistan has a long history of complex civilization. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

It is a little upsetting that the fight has come to Kaffirstan/Nuristan.  It is a traditionally non-Muslim area (Kaffir means infidel, like the Turkish gavur) and home to a pretty unique ethnicity that has a very different phenotype from the surrounding people. 

We probably should have moved as many troops as possible to the Afpak border after the Swat Valley campaign picked up steam.  Or, even better, during the initial invasion.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 04, 2009, 08:37:11 PM
Afghans aren't Southerners.  Afghanistan has a long history of complex civilization.

Yeah, it only took 4 years to be the south.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017