I'm up to my balls in fake Mooselimbs and dune coons

Started by CountDeMoney, October 03, 2009, 08:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteMuslims gather for weekend of learning about their faith

By Matthew Hay Brown | [email protected]

October 3, 2009

An adult convert to Islam, Ify Okoye spent her first couple of years learning about the religion from books. It wasn't until the Beltsville woman started going to seminars given by the AlMaghrib Institute that she really began to understand her new faith.

"I look at my Islam completely as the pre-AlMaghrib phase and the post-AlMaghrib phase," says the 25-year-old Okoye, a student at Bowie State University. "After attending my first class, I see there's such a breadth and depth to the Islamic tradition, and also a real practical intellectual tradition that's vibrant, that can work today, that Muslims in America can use."

Okoye plans to spend today and tomorrow at the Baltimore Convention Center, where the Sunni Muslim institute has chosen to present Ilm Fest 2009, an Islamic education conference previously held in New York, Chicago and Toronto. With the large Muslim communities of Northern Virginia and New Jersey within driving distance of Baltimore, organizers are hoping to attract as many as 1,500 of the faithful to hear Islamic scholars speak on such topics as Muslim acceptance in America, domestic violence and "Reclaiming Islam From the Jihadists."

Ilm Fest 2009 marks a sort of homecoming for the AlMaghrib Institute, which was founded in Maryland eight years ago. Muhammad Alshareef, a Canadian citizen, was teaching at a Muslim day school in College Park when he began to organize scholars and develop the curriculum for the classes now taught in one- and two-weekend seminars throughout the United States, Britain and Canada. Ilm Fest is the annual culmination of those single-subject seminars.

"With Ilm Fest, it's an opportunity for a bunch of speakers to come in with different topics, it allows us to pick up on some current issues," says Alshareef, the president of the institute. "Something that separates Ilm Fest from other Muslim conferences is the tendency of those coming to the event to be more focused on seeking knowledge. Even though it's a conference setting, you'll actually see people with notebooks and pens."

The event comes as young American Muslims try to reconcile their faith and their citizenship in the post-Sept. 11 United States. Organizers say this year's Ilm Fest - the name comes from the Arabic word for knowledge - has been designed to address that struggle head-on.

"What we're trying to do is give a public space to make Muslims feel that, look, there's nothing wrong at all with being who you are, there's nothing wrong with expressing your beliefs, with being proud of being who you are," says Yasir Qadhi, the institute's dean of academics. "That is part of the vision that the founding fathers had, where there would be a country where each and every religious group, ethnic group, political group, would have the right to be who they are, while they participate in the civic responsibilities of being a part of the new republic which is now known as America.

"I would go so far as to say that many times we have to learn our own history as Americans and teach that history to some of our fellow Americans who seem to have lost the plot, if you ask me, and they feel that America is simply one monolithic vision of what religion or what identity or what ethics people should have."

In the United States, associations between Islam and terrorism have proved an obstacle to wider acceptance. Waleed Basyouni, who will be delivering the presentation on reclaiming Islam from the jihadists, sees interpreting the Quran correctly for non-Arabic-speaking Muslims as vital.

"I believe there's a lot of people who have used that [language] gap, that ignorance that maybe some people have, to introduce a different message than what the original message was," he says. "And those who have authentic knowledge and information plus that moderate worldview, I think they are the best people to ensure our brothers and sisters who live in America, American Muslims, that they practice Islam in the correct way."

Qadhi says the threat of Muslim extremism in the United States has been exaggerated by the media.

"We don't really have a serious problem of extremist youth out there who are willing to do terroristic acts," he says. "But what is not exaggerated is the very real anger that is felt by Muslims when they see their religion portrayed in such a negative light. And that anger, definitely, we need to make sure that it is channeled in a proper direction, and that is education and teaching people about our religion."

Alshareef said Baltimore was chosen for Ilm Fest 2009 in part as a reward for a thriving Maryland-D.C.-Virginia chapter of AlMaghrib, which has attracted as many as 500 students to the seminars it gives three or four times a year. Sally Mahmoud is a former president of the local chapter; the 25-year-old Columbia woman is looking forward to the event this weekend.

"When you're going to a conference you're meeting all sorts of people from all different paths of life, and that's sort of what you're going to get here, too," says Mahmoud, a pharmacy student at the University of Maryland.

"But in addition, all these people are students, you know, students of knowledge. They appreciate the knowledge. They travel for it. So you're getting a different type of Muslim crowd. They may be a little younger, they're more active, they're striving to become better people. So that's kind of the nice thing about it."

Martinus

:bleeding:

I have generally a very low opinion about religious people, but I don't think I respect anyone less than a person who was born to a non-Muslim family in the West and then converted to Islam.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 09:44:14 AM

I have generally a very low opinion about religious people, but I don't think I respect anyone less than a person who was born to a non-Muslim family in the West and then converted to Islam.

Why?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on October 04, 2009, 10:00:16 AM

Why?

Maybe because they don't know what the hell they're doing?

"I'm a Muslim and I don't eat bacon, because The Quran says so."
*Goes out and continues to knock up future baby muvvas and smoke dope*

The Brain

Why?

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Sorry Brain, but I think the 9/11 hijackers were all Authentic Mooselimbs(tm).

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2009, 10:07:25 AM
Sorry Brain, but I think the 9/11 hijackers were all Authentic Mooselimbs(tm).
That's because they only let the wannabes light their shoes on fire in airplanes and stupid shit like that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Why?

Because as religions go, Islam is one of the dumbest and most vile. People who are born into it and do not know how retarded they are can be excused. People who are born in the West but into Islamic families should have known better but there is an element of tradition and family pressure that can make people do stupid shit. But people who actually convert to Islam have none of these excuses going for them.

Admiral Yi

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2009, 10:02:08 AM

Why?

Maybe because they don't know what the hell they're doing?

"I'm a Muslim and I don't eat bacon, because The Quran says so."
*Goes out and continues to knock up future baby muvvas and smoke dope*

It is big in prison isn't it.  Though I bet that particular sect of Islam is centered on the Spike Leeoid hatred of whitey rather than any of the morality and discipline that Islam espouses.
PDH!