News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

You Pay, Computer Prays For You

Started by garbon, March 26, 2009, 09:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090326/sc_livescience/youpaycomputerpraysforyou

QuoteInformation Age Prayer is a site that charges you a monthly fee to say prayers for you. A typical charge is $4.95 per month to say three prayers specified by you each day.

"We use state of the art text to speech synthesizers to voice each prayer at a volume and speed equivalent to typical person praying," the company states. "Each prayer is voiced individually, with the name of the subscriber displayed on screen."

Prices, however, are dictated by the length of the prayer. As noted in the Information Age Prayer FAQ, "A discounted prayer will cost less than other prayers of similar length."

Handmaid's Tale?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Since the whole point of prayer is to focus you in a sort of meditation this kinda defeats the whole purpose.

But I guess if you think praying has some sort of magical effect I guess you might do it, a fool and his money are soon parted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2009, 09:23:51 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090326/sc_livescience/youpaycomputerpraysforyou

QuoteInformation Age Prayer is a site that charges you a monthly fee to say prayers for you. A typical charge is $4.95 per month to say three prayers specified by you each day.

"We use state of the art text to speech synthesizers to voice each prayer at a volume and speed equivalent to typical person praying," the company states. "Each prayer is voiced individually, with the name of the subscriber displayed on screen."

Prices, however, are dictated by the length of the prayer. As noted in the Information Age Prayer FAQ, "A discounted prayer will cost less than other prayers of similar length."

Handmaid's Tale?

Low-tech version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheel
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2009, 09:26:22 AM
Since the whole point of prayer is to focus you in a sort of meditation this kinda defeats the whole purpose.

But I guess if you think praying has some sort of magical effect I guess you might do it, a fool and his money are soon parted.

If you really believe this is effective, it may have some of the same effects [as actually praying].

"a sort of meditation" is certainly far from the entire point of prayer.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on March 26, 2009, 10:00:13 AM
If you really believe this is effective, it may have some of the same effects [as actually praying].

"a sort of meditation" is certainly far from the entire point of prayer.

Good point actually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2009, 09:23:51 AM

Handmaid's Tale?
This will lead directly to concentration camps for gays. :(

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2009, 10:13:52 AM
This will lead directly to concentration camps for gays. :(
About damn time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

But what will I do with my Electric Monk?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2009, 10:16:19 AM
You learn something new every day.  :smarty:

We're so good at teaching one another. :hug:

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 26, 2009, 10:16:32 AM
But what will I do with my Electric Monk?

The rest of that article delved into that, but I found that part boring and snipped it out.

derspiess

I pray for Martinus's soul every day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2009, 11:57:50 AM
I pray for Martinus's soul every day.

I pray for a Russian invasion of Poland and an American double cross.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive