News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vatican: Ephebophilia, Not Pedophilia

Started by Martinus, October 01, 2009, 09:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteVatican: Ephebophilia, Not Pedophilia
Catholic priests who sexually abuse young people should not be called "pedophiles," said a Vatican official.
By Julie Bolcer

The Vatican has suggested that instances of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic priests would be more accurately described as ephebophilia -- attraction to mid to late adolescents -- rather than pedophilia.

Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican's permanent observer to the United Nations, argued for the change in terminology in a statement following a meeting of the U.N. human rights council in Geneva.

"Of all priests involved in the abuses, 80 to 90 percent belong to this sexual orientation minority which is sexually engaged with adolescent boys between the ages of 11 and 17," said Tomasi, according to London's The Guardian newspaper.

In the statement, Tomasi also attempted to deflect criticism of the Vatican's handling of sexual abuse scandals by pointing a finger at other church bodies, reported The Guardian.

Tomasi cited statistics to argue that no more than 5% of Catholic clergy were involved in sexual abuse, claiming that the majority of American churches struggling with abuse allegations were Protestant.

This is soooooo bloody funny.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

"No more than 1 in 20 of our clergy sexually abuse children!"

That should be on their T shirts.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Wiki
As of May 2007, the Vatican website stated that there were some 406,411 priests serving the Church worldwide.
I'm relieved to learn that there are only approximately 20,320 pedophiles/ephebophiles serving as Catholic priests. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Expect to see postings for openings in the Vatican PR department.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Better than calling that Pederasty, too.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2009, 09:26:53 AM
As of May 2007, the Vatican website stated that there were some 406,411 priests serving the Church worldwide.
I'm relieved to learn that there are only approximately 20,320 pedophiles/ephebophiles serving as Catholic priests. :)

Twenty thousands, and none of them made any good movies. :(

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2009, 09:57:43 AM

Were you an ugly kid? :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

Allegedly not. But I've never been molested, so I guess I was. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2009, 09:26:53 AM

Wait there  are 1 billion Catholics right?  So there are 2500 worshipers for every priest?  Damn those churches must get crowded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2009, 10:28:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

Allegedly not. But I've never been molested, so I guess I was. :P

I guess you only knew 19 priests.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

This reminds me of the teacher who got sacked for referring to his colleagues as pedagogues in a memo.