News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Aerosmith - Rocks (1976)

The drugs were just about to catch up with them, but for this one, last moment of sanity Aerosmith truly, well, rocks.  The album is rude, raw and loud everything Aersomith did best.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (1975)

Run DMC has said that they used to rap over the beats in this record, long before their version of "Walk This Way."  They thought the name of the band was "Toys in the Attic."

The influences here are more obvious than they would be on "Rocks," (and everything they didn't steal from from The Rolling Stones they cribbed from Led Zeppelin.)  I think this works to their favor; they're not trying to be Robert Johnson, their trying to be Robert Plant.  Their version of hard rocking blues, therefore, becomes much more fun and much more joyously sleazy than their influences.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Black dude at my regular hang told me he thought Aero Smith was the dude's name.

Eddie Teach

Did you ask him if DMX was something to do with bikes?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Aiko Hasegawa - The Art of the Japanese Koto

:mellow:

Savonarola

Air - Moon Safari

It's hard to believe this album is 17 years old; mais où sont les neiges d'antan?   :(

Still a great deal of fun, poppy, otherworldly, chill-out and French all in one.  Air may be the only electronica band influenced by Burt Bacharach. 

FunkMonk

At the Kennedy Center this past weekend to see NSO concert of Shostakovich 11th symphony.

The bells. The bells :crying:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

And looks like radiohead's new album is out. Good few days musically  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Savonarola

Air - Premiers Symptômes

This is a collection of Air's early singles released as an EP; while not as good as Moon Safari it's still worthwhile.

I once saw Air at a club in Pontiac, Michigan.  As we were waiting for the show to begin there was a street preacher proselytizing at us; only he was pacing back and forth the length of the line from across the street, so it was impossible to hear more than a few words of what he was saying.  I had gone with my brother and some of his friends.  One in our group had smuggled recording equipment into the show.  He must have looked suspicious when he was fiddling about with it, since a total stranger came up and asked him "Do you got the trees man?"

sbr

Quote from: Savonarola on April 25, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (album)(1983)

Every bit as gleefully stupid and over the top as I remembered.  A lot of people who wrote stupid lyrics (The Ramones, Redd Kross, The Beastie Boys) did so intentionally there's a certain  ;) ;) characteristic to their music.  Mötley Crüe works because Nikki Sixx doesn't seem to realize what he's writing is monumentally stupid (and, as a bonus for them, neither did Tipper Gore.)  That would come back to bite them on their next album (Theater of Pain) when he tried to write political (Fight for your Rights) or sentimental (Home Sweet Home) in largely the same voice.  Here, though, where every song is about sex, violence and the devil; Nikki's vision is near perfect.

You can go fuck yourself right to hell.  I am listening to Mötley Crüe's Greatest Hits (17 tracks!!) and it is as good as it ever was.

You were probably a Duran Duran fan.  :rolleyes:

Savonarola

Quote from: sbr on May 11, 2016, 09:52:07 PM
You can go fuck yourself right to hell.  I am listening to Mötley Crüe's Greatest Hits (17 tracks!!) and it is as good as it ever was.

You probably had this poster on your wall:

:P

Seriously, "I like Shout at the Devil" and "Too Fast for Love", but during "Theater of Pain" someone should have taken Nikki aside and told him "Write more stupid songs, that's what you're good at."

Edit:  Which isn't to say there are no stupid lyrics on "Theater of Pain," "Tonight" might be Nikki Sixx's chef d'oeuvre:

Stand tall and ring the bell
The final stroke send you to hell
Take your body like a hammer and a nail
The taste of love, it might be yours
Slide down my knees taste my sword
Can you feel the power inside tonight?

However it's nowhere near as consistent as "Shout at the Devil."

Savonarola

Al Green - Greatest Hits
Al Green - I'm Still in Love with You
Al Green - Call Me

:cool:

I once saw the Reverend Green in concert; this was after he started playing his secular music again.  I saw him at an amphitheater in the whitest heart of Detroit's vanilla suburbs, so I was a little surprised that 3/4 of the audience was African American.  They only played about 10 songs, but the concert was over two hours.  Al gave each song a chance to cook before he started in singing; it was really cool.

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on May 11, 2016, 09:52:07 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 25, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (album)(1983)

Every bit as gleefully stupid and over the top as I remembered.  A lot of people who wrote stupid lyrics (The Ramones, Redd Kross, The Beastie Boys) did so intentionally there's a certain  ;) ;) characteristic to their music.  Mötley Crüe works because Nikki Sixx doesn't seem to realize what he's writing is monumentally stupid (and, as a bonus for them, neither did Tipper Gore.)  That would come back to bite them on their next album (Theater of Pain) when he tried to write political (Fight for your Rights) or sentimental (Home Sweet Home) in largely the same voice.  Here, though, where every song is about sex, violence and the devil; Nikki's vision is near perfect.

I was a fan.  I still think the Motley Crue show I saw in 1990 during the Dr Feelgood tour was the best concert I've ever seen.  I still hit up their songs on the trusty iPhone once in awhile.

But it was not sophisticated stuff, and generally hasn't aged well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I just saw the video for "Scream" by Michael and Janet Jackson. Apparently the most expensive music video ever made. Too bad about the song.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

The Sejong "rock festival" is playing outside the local train station. Brutally bad.

Only ever heard one native rock band here that was good, and they're punk rock girl group. Most bands here are just poor Bon Jovi ripoffs.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point