What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

First time I've heard an entire Beatles studio album. And it was much much better than I expected.

Abbey Road: A+

I had heard Come Together, Something and Here Comes the Sun before and liked them but the stand out tracks on that albums for me was definitely Oh! Darling and I Want You (She's So Heavy). Never heard McCartney sing like in Oh! Darling, I am starting to see why people were sad they ended it here.

Also I couldn't really tell where one song started and another ended from about You Never Give Me Your Money but it was all good. At what point did Beatles stop playing Love Me Do songs and start playing well?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Seinabo Say - Pistols At Dawn
Tinashe feat. Young Thug - Party Favors
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Star Dust and The Spiders From Mars
:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Listening to the radio, one of my favourite hosts is on and he's crying while pushing just Bowie numbers.

I feel the tears coming on.

Changes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 04:35:14 AM
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Star Dust and The Spiders From Mars
:(

I just listened to it. Now "Life on Mars".  :(

Syt

Also, possibly the ultimate cover of Space Oddity, from Chris Hadfield on the ISS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Tina Turner and David Bowie - Tonight

One of the best duets in history.

Eddie Teach

Been listening to the Blackstar album. It's a bit odd, but pretty cool.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pedrito

Quote from: Liep on January 10, 2016, 10:35:12 AM
First time I've heard an entire Beatles studio album. And it was much much better than I expected.

I had heard Come Together, Something and Here Comes the Sun before and liked them but the stand out tracks on that albums for me was definitely Oh! Darling and I Want You (She's So Heavy). Never heard McCartney sing like in Oh! Darling, I am starting to see why people were sad they ended it here.

Also I couldn't really tell where one song started and another ended from about You Never Give Me Your Money but it was all good. At what point did Beatles stop playing Love Me Do songs and start playing well?
:huh: Just remind us, how old are you, Liep? And you never listened to a full studio album by the Beatles? kids these days  :rolleyes:

For a serious answer to your question, from Rubber Soul onwards they reached top notch quality, although there are several good to great songs in Help! and For Sale, too.
And if you consider Abbey Road an A+, then I'll wait for your votes on Rubber Soul, SPLHCB, Revolver and the White Album.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Eddie Teach

I've never listened to a full Beatles studio album either. I do have a compilation double album I've listened to.

Liep

Quote from: Pedrito on January 12, 2016, 03:05:52 AM

:huh: Just remind us, how old are you, Liep? And you never listened to a full studio album by the Beatles? kids these days  :rolleyes:

For a serious answer to your question, from Rubber Soul onwards they reached top notch quality, although there are several good to great songs in Help! and For Sale, too.
And if you consider Abbey Road an A+, then I'll wait for your votes on Rubber Soul, SPLHCB, Revolver and the White Album.

L.

My parents' album collection consisted mostly of Danish left wing music (it was pretty good though, "Røde Mor", etc.), some classical music predominately performed by the Bolshoi orchestra and a Bowie compilation LP that I played til it could play no more.

So it happens pretty often that I run into an artist that I can't believe my parents didn't play for me 15-25 years ago, this year it's the Beatles and Paul Simon, last year it was Miles Davis and The Smiths and not that many years ago it was Tom Waits who's now my all time favourite artist.

garbon

Quote from: Pedrito on January 12, 2016, 03:05:52 AM

L.

I've never either and my parents listened to pop music.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

My parents never played albums for us, except Mannheim Steamroller on Christmas morning.