News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Reverend Columbus Mann - They Shall Be Mine

Another Motown stab at gospel music; this is a rollicking boogie-woogie number.  The song has its moments, especially when Reverend Mann starts listing the saved (Obadiah, Oh Zachariah...); unfortunately it's not well recorded and it's hard to make out what the choir is saying.

The B-Side Jesus Loves starts out with a really slow, really drawn out introduction; and then suddenly Reverend Mann turns into Reverend James Brown.  That's pretty cool, but it's a test of patience to get there.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Going through the process of acquiring the cds of albums releases for which I have the vinyl, obviously did nearly all my favourites from all decades a good while back, but man some of these 80s albums are a bit marginal, the Rolling Stones 'Steel Wheels' is a deeply pedestrian affair, talk about them going through the motions.

I now have the CD for an album I probably listened to once 25 years ago, then but the vinyl away, I've now heard the CD and have put that away for probably another 25 years!  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2015, 04:29:59 PM
Going through the process of acquiring the cds of albums releases for which I have the vinyl, obviously did nearly all my favourites from all decades a good while back, but man some of these 80s albums are a bit marginal, the Rolling Stones 'Steel Wheels' is a deeply pedestrian affair, talk about them going through the motions.

I now have the CD for an album I probably listened to once 25 years ago, then but the vinyl away, I've now heard the CD and have put that away for probably another 25 years!  :hmm:

I thought they really phoned it in on the next two albums (Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon.)  I didn't bother listening to their last one (A Bigger Bang.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on December 10, 2015, 04:41:22 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2015, 04:29:59 PM

I thought they really phoned it in on the next two albums (Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon.)  I didn't bother listening to their last one (A Bigger Bang.)

Yes 60s and 70s Stones is where it's at; a friend of mine has some nice Stones photos, her mother was friends with the band in the mid-60s and gave her daughter some, by definition unique, B&W polariods of her and the band hanging out together.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Does she know which one's the dad? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I bought Voodoo Lounge because I liked "Love is Strong", but the album was rather forgettable.

The other new album by old band I bought around the same time was the far superior Division Bell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Meh...Momentary Laps has a couple good moments (Sorrow, On The Turning Away) but overall is rather weak.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

The Equadors - Someone to Call My Own (1961)

A straightforward doo-wop number in which the lead singer wants a woman.  He doesn't seem to have any requirements beyond that; just a woman.  The B side You're My Desire is a straight up street corner doo-wop ballad.  Neither of these songs went anywhere; and they never had another single at least as The Equadors.  No one seems to know who these people are.  There was a fifties Philadelphia doo-wop group called The Equadors who had a minor hit with Sputnik Dance and there was an early rock and roll group called the Ecuadors who played with Chuck Berry and had a hit with Let Me Sleep Woman (that's Chuck on the guitar) but neither of them seems to be the same Equadors as the Motown Equadors.

Admiral Yi

Three different groups with the same shit name.

Eddie Teach

It's better than the Oneders at least.

Liep

Danish act Lukas Graham was on Conan's show and as always when any Dane is on an American show the comments on the video released online are all Danes writing about how fantastic it is. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Well you are practically family.

garbon

Spotify's year in music feature is kind of fun.  Apparently (with no real surprise), my top categories this year were:

1. Pop
2. Indie R&B
3. Urban Contemporary
4. Deep Melodic House
5. EDM
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Can you give me examples of what 2, 4 and 5 are?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk