News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Have you guys ever listened to the Dire Straits live album?  Hit or miss, but the version of Sultans of Swing is gangbusters.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2015, 09:15:10 PM
Have you guys ever listened to the Dire Straits live album?  Hit or miss, but the version of Sultans of Swing is gangbusters.

Yeah Alchemy is pretty good in places. By coincidence I'm waiting for the last live album they did, to arrive in the next couple days.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Yeah, Alchemy is a classic. Actually was the first Dire Straits album I'd ever heard.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

On day 4 of steel pans playing outside my office, this is probably the most Christmas music I've ever heard in December.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 04, 2015, 09:03:37 AM
Yeah, Alchemy is a classic. Actually was the first Dire Straits album I'd ever heard.

Indeed. My first experience of them was 'Lover over Gold', came out the month I went to University and I remember seeing 'private investigations' a lot on MTV/video jukeboxes.  :)

Savonarola

David Bowie - Tonight

Continues on in the vein of "Let's Dance," but with far weaker songs and arrangements.  Blue Jean is a good song and Loving the Alien is decent; the other ones have issues.  The covers are all bad ideas and the rest of the songs are fill.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Contours - The Stretch

In 1960 Chubby Checker had a hit with his cover of The Twist.  (The original is by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.)  Berry Gordy, being Berry Gordy, thought he'd try to start his own dance sensation, the stretch.  Obviously it never caught on, but the song is good.  It's what The Contours do best; a raucous R&B number.

The B-Side, Funny, is not what The Contours do well; a slow doo-wop ballad.  This isn't very good at all, it sounds like they got it on the first take and without rehearsing.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on December 04, 2015, 04:28:31 PM

In 1960 Chubby Checker had a hit with his cover of The Twist.  (The original is by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.)  Berry Gordy, being Berry Gordy, thought he'd try to start his own dance sensation, the stretch.  Obviously it never caught on, but the song is good.  It's what The Contours do best; a raucous R&B number.

The B-Side, Funny, is not what The Contours do well; a slow doo-wop ballad.  This isn't very good at all, it sounds like they got it on the first take and without rehearsing.

Interesting.

Wasn't studio time back then rather precious?

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on December 04, 2015, 04:58:56 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 04, 2015, 04:28:31 PM

Interesting.

Wasn't studio time back then rather precious?

Even in those days Motown had its own studio.  My guess is that they were probably just trying to rush this single release; and there were some quality control issues back in the early days.  Even if this had been more polished, I don't think it would have been a good song; slow ballads were not The Contours things.

Liep

Soak, live. It's.. less good than the studio refined album sound.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on December 05, 2015, 02:35:16 PM
Soak, live. It's.. less good than the studio refined album sound.

But goddamnit it's still good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Yes - Ultimate Yes 35th anniversary collection.

New to me, a well put together compilation, lots of good music for very little.  :bowler: