News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

EL VY is on Danish radio now playing a few songs. Poul Is Alive is a great track.  :punk:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

The Supremes - Buttered Popcorn

This is the only Supreme's single Florence Ballard sings lead on.  It's supposed to be a double entendre laden novelty comedy song about how Florence's boyfriend loves popcorn greasy :perv: and sticky :perv: and gooey :perv: and salty :perv:.  It's not good, it's not funny and it was written by Berry Gordy himself.  This is also the last single the fourth Supreme, Barbara Martin, would be credited on.

The B side is another stab at Who's Lovin' You with Diana singing lead.  Diana struggles with the vocals on this one.  It's a good song, it just needed the right singer.  Unfortunately he was only four at the time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Was trying to think why that B side song was familiar, it's because of this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liT8cILFAV4
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 30, 2015, 02:34:11 PM
Was trying to think why that B side song was familiar, it's because of this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liT8cILFAV4

I had forgotten about that from En Vogue.  Motown would release it several time until The Jackson 5 finally had a hit with it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Safaris - Image of a Girl

Not the "Wipe Out" people, those were The Surfaris; The Safaris were also from California, but a doo wop group rather than surf rock.  This is their one and only hit; but it was big enough that they ended up on American Bandstand with Dick Clark.  It's a nice, slow doo-wop number.  I like the background singing slowly rises.  The metronome is a nice touch; (though maybe they were that far out of time without it...)

Savonarola

This Endris Night

A rather haunting Christmas carol from the fifteenth century.  ("Endris" being Middle English for "Other", it's not a primitive attempt at Engrish.) 

Savonarola

David Bowie – Heroes

More consciously "Arty" than Low, the songs on this still all manage to work.  A big part of this is due to Robert Fripp's amazing guitar work; this more makes up for a few word collages.  Some of the songs are among Bowie's best, notably the title track and "Joe the Lion."  The instrumentals on the B side, with the exception of V2 Schneider, are just too long and too weird for me.  Unlike "Low" he closes out with a song ("Secret Life of Arabia,") I think that helps tie the whole album together.

Savonarola

David Bowie - Lodger

The weakest link of the triptych (and the one that Brian Eno collaborated most closely with Bowie on.)  It's not as challenging, or as rewarding, as the two albums that preceded it; but the songs are all solid.  It's something of a poppy response to the musical ideas explored in Heroes and Low. 

Savonarola

The Temptations - Oh Mother of Mine

This is the very first Temptations single; before David Ruffin was even in the band.  It's a fun little dance number; and almost perfectly fits Yi's description of Motown (of the period) as "Funked up doo-wop."  The Temptations would go through a number of line up changes throughout the years; and, at one time, there were two Motown groups who called themselves the Temptations performing.  The  co-writer of the song, Otis Williams is the only original Temptation in the group.

The Motown Museum has a rotating presentation of memorabilia.  The first time I went there they had some 70s era Temptation costumes on display.  The costumes were all identical size; the museum guide explained that in order to be a Temptation you had to be at least 6 feet tall.

The B side Romance Without Finance is more akin to something the Contours would do.  It's a raucous number, but the Temptations don't do raucous, or at least they don't do it very well.

Savonarola

The Time Tones In My Heart

The first release by Times Square Records, the Time Tones were a racially integrated group from New York City.  This peppy little number was their only hit they quickly sank to obscurity.  Time Square Records managed to hold out until 1964 when they were destroyed by the British invasion.   :bowler:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Tom Waits - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

Savonarola

David Bowie - Scary Monsters

The last great David Bowie album (almost every album of his since then has been hailed as "His best since Scary Monsters.")  This one expands on the idea of Lodger; but instead of drawing inspiration from Bowie's last two albums he takes it from his entire career at that point.  The result is a wonderful, soulful electro-glam album.   :cool:

I like his cover of "Kingdom Come," but he doesn't really sell the song the way Tom Verlaine does.  Bowie's version is so smooth I don't believe for a moment that Bowie thinks there's someone in tower watching him, or that there's a face of doom anywhere near him.  Tom, on the other hand, is so nervous sounding that it's quite believable.

Savonarola

The Golden Harmoneers – I am Bound (1961)

Surprisingly this is just a straight out R&B number with Gospel lyrics.  It's quite danceable and has a funky drummer whom I hope was Marvin Gaye (no listing of the personal survive.)

The B side, Precious Memories, was the bigger hit.  It's much slower and much more intricate than the A-side.  It features both a funky gospel organ and a funky Ondioline.  (Nowhere but Motown could have a funky Ondioline.) 

I like both tracks, but this was all probably a little too weird for the Gospel audience in 1961.  The Golden Harmoneers never had another single