News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

David Bowie - Station to Station

I was reading the Rig-Veda at the time I was living across the street from the drug house1..  One Sunday morning I got home and someone had gotten a battery powered radio (they had other priorities than paying the electricity bill at the drug house; so the power had been cut off long ago.)  He was blaring gospel music from one of the many Christian stations here in Melbourne.  At the time I thought that was just like the Rig-Veda with drugs, religion and music.  I was reminded of that again today when I was listening to the coked up religious songs on "Station to Station."

While the drugs were obviously taking over at this point (the legend is that Bowie recorded this in a week long coke binge) it's a good album.  I like this better than "Young Americans," while Bowie's music is still soul; he's not pretending to be the O'Jays long lost British cousin any more.  It's more like Kraftwerk meets Philadelphia; something so different that only Bowie could pull it off.

1.)  Yes, I realize most people's stories don't start off this way.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Gino Parks - Same Thing

This is a fun little 50s era R&B rocker complete with sax breaks. Gino really gives it all from the opening acapella lines to the shouting chorus.  The B side, That's No Lie, is a mid tempo blues number.  Gino's career never really went anywhere and he ended up as an insurance salesman by the late 60s.  I think he suffered from the same problem as the Contours, his voice was suitable for a rougher R&B/rock than Berry Gordy was interested in making.  You could see him more as a rival to James Brown than to Marvin Gaye.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Crests - The Angels Listened In

The Crests were probably the most integrated band in the 50s with three black members (including Luther Vandross's aunt, Patricia Vandross) one Puerto Rican and a white guy an Italian.  Naturally the white guy dago is the lead singer; Johnny Maestro, who'd go on to have the hit Worst That Could Happen.

The Crests harmonies are pretty straight forward for a doo-wop group; this is more akin to straight out 50s era rock and roll with a pounding piano and tinny electric guitar. 

garbon

Janet Jackson - 2 B Loved

Unbreakable is her first album in years that I've purchased / the first I think I've really enjoyed since The Velvet Rope. :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

David Bowie - Low

The first, and in my opinion, best of the triptych; this was written at a low point in David Bowie's life as he tried to kick his cocaine habit.  The albums first side is a series of jagged avant-garde pop songs on the first side, and a series of spacey art rock instrumentals on the back side.  It's a little bleak at points, but overall it's a masterpiece.  It's well ahead of it's time, and an influence on everyone from Joy Division to Trent Reznor.  Even so it still remains a challenging, incredible work.

Liep

Paul Simon - Graceland (album)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

The Satintones - I Know How it Feels

One of the Satintones better singles, it's worth a listen for the bass man repeating brr-rum-pum-pum over and over.  The B side My Kind of Love is better.  That doesn't really sound like a Satintones song, it's more like a solo effort by their lead singer Vernon Williams.  The song itself is different too, it sort of sounds like a Holland-Dozier-Holland song (Brian Holland was one of the co-writers.)  It's not quite there yet, but you can hear what's coming up.

Savonarola

The Paradons - Diamonds and Pearls

woop-woop-woop-woop-de-ooop

I gorgeous slow tempo doo-wop number from California based group "The Paradons."  This is their only hit; they were together for a year and recorded 8 songs. 

Pedrito

Oh well. The Cure announced an european tour for 2016, tickets for the italian dates were on sale this morning at 10.00, and at 12.15 they were already sold out for the date I was interested in.  <_<

The show will be... Oct 29, 2016, eleven months from now  :wacko:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Eddie Teach

Sorry you're missing the concert, Pedrito. Please don't cut yourself over it.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pedrito

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2015, 06:34:10 PM
Sorry you're missing the concert, Pedrito. Please don't cut yourself over it.  :(
I won't, I promise.
But now I'll go to bed and cry myself to sleep. Just hope the eyeliner doesn't destroy the pillowcase.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Savonarola

Quote from: Pedrito on November 24, 2015, 06:20:20 PM
Oh well. The Cure announced an european tour for 2016, tickets for the italian dates were on sale this morning at 10.00, and at 12.15 they were already sold out for the date I was interested in.  <_<

L.

I'm surprised.  I saw the Cure on the Bloodflowers tour in 2000, they played almost none of their hits and mostly songs from the new album.  Plus even then Robert Smith was far too old to continue to dress up like Edward Scissorhands.  It wasn't a bad show, but I'd read the reviews before I bought tickets for their current tour.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 25, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on November 24, 2015, 06:20:20 PM

L.

I'm surprised.  I saw the Cure on the Bloodflowers tour in 2000, they played almost none of their hits and mostly songs from the new album.  Plus even then Robert Smith was far too old to continue to dress up like Edward Scissorhands.  It wasn't a bad show, but I'd read the reviews before I bought tickets for their current tour.

Okay, so I was/am a huge The Cure fan.  Back in 1996 I drove from Flin Flon, MB to freaking Milwaukee to see them - then again the next night in Minneapolis.

I was very glad I did - it was a lot of fun, but if I'm speaking honestly I've seen other artists put on better shows (though perhaps not as good music).  And yes they played a lot from their current album at the time, Wild Mood Swings, which wasn't a bad album but still past their peak.

But yeah even in 1996 Robert Smith was looking a bit old to be wearing makeup.  I don't think I'd make a similar trip these days these days, when Robert Smith is (checks google) 56.

The one caveat though... they haven't produced a new studio album since 2008.  So they're not going to be playing a bunch of new stuff, but instead heavily mining their classics.

Although one shouldn't use the word "they" in discussing The Cure, as it's a pretty much revolving door where Smith is the only constant.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Nicki Minaj - Starships
Lana Del Rey - American
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.