News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Can - Tago Mago

I came across a reference to this while reading up on "Diamond Dogs."  I'm not at all familiar with Krautrock, so I'd never heard it.  Upon listening it's:

:o

Pretty amazing; it picks up where "Bitches Brew" left off and keeps going.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Miracles Broken Hearted

This is the first single featuring Tamla's globe label:

The song is a mid-tempo ballad featuring strings; a lot of strings.  This barely made the charts, but surprisingly the B side Mighty Good Lovin' got more radio play.  This became Motown first double A side.  The B side is more of an R&B dance song, it's pretty good. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Supertramp Crisis? What Crisis? LP
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Tina Turner - What You Get Is What You See
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Coolio- 1,2,3,4 (Sumpin' New)
Haddaway- What is Love :windshieldwiperheadbob:
Black Keys- Lonely Boy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

The Bop Chords - Castle in the Sky (1956)

Written and sung by a Harlem based group who was only together for about a year.  In that brief time they went from singing on street corners to singing at the Apollo.  Their other singles are pedestrian doo-wop numbers but this one has a lot to recommend it; notably the call and response background singing and the 50s sax break.  :cool:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

David Bowie - Young Americans

TRIGGER WARNING - CULTURAL APPROPRATION

;)

This didn't actually come out of nowhere; Bowie had demonstrated some soul influences on Diamond Dogs and then on the Diamond Dogs tour sang his old songs as Philadelphia soul style songs.  You can hear that on "David Live," but that's strictly for fanatics only; the album is terrible.

Young Americans suffers from some weak compositions ("Right," "Can You Hear Me,") but the masterpieces (the title track, "Fascination," "Fame," and "Somebody up there Likes Me") far outweigh them.  The band is amazing (no less than David Sanborn on Sax) as well as the backup singers (featuring a young Luther Vandross.)  Many times, though, David really does sound like a white limey trying to do an O'Jays impression; I still giggle whenever I hear his "Sho' nuff" on Fascination.

He might have thought that too, since he lets the backup singers have such a dominant role on many of the songs.  I think that works pretty well, especially on "Fascination."

James Brown's Hot, (I need to be loved, loved, loved, loved) was obviously influenced by "Fame," but Bowie himself took the lick from Foot Stompin' by the Flares (though obviously funked it up a lot.)  David Bowie performed his funkier version of Foot Stompin' live a few times. 

Syt

37 years ago, Jim Jones ordered the mass suicide of Jonestown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIDDP_EprcA

QuoteWe thank you for the Kool-Aid, Reverend Jim
We're glad to leave behind their world of sin
Our lifeless bodies fall on holy ground
Rotting flesh, a sacrificial mound

Were you our God or a man in a play
Who took our applause and forced us to stay?
Now all together we lived as we died
On your command by your side

Guyana in the cult of the damned
Give us your word for the grand final stand

In the cult of the damned, we all worked the land
Too afraid to look up, we all feared his hand

Hurry my children there isn't much time
But we'll meet again on the other side

Be good to the children and old people first
Hand them a drink, they're dying of thirst

Give us your word for the grand final stand, oh

Give us your word for the grand final stand, oh, oh

Bigfoot, Bigfoot thrown in a well
Pulled under water, screaming like hell
He told us life was just a hotel
Time to check out when he rang a bell

Oh, mother, mother, mother
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Mable John No Love

This is a very slow blues doo-wop number.  It had about a year since Mable's first single; "Who Wouldn't Love a Man Like That?"  Mary Wells was taking off as the star and Mable was largely forgotten.  Mable really could sing (in fact she'd go on to become a Raelette, one of Ray Charles's background singers), but this was past the end of the doo-wop era (and obviously pop blues was not what Motown became known for.)

The B side Looking for a Man is a sassier blues number; that turned out not to be her style.

This single failed to chart, and Mable would never have a hit with Motown.  She did have a hit with Stax later; the incredible You're Good Thing is about to End.  I doubt even Aretha could have done it better; unfortunately Mable never had a follow up

Savonarola

The Drifters Dance With Me

Not related to the Orleans song of the same name, this version features the great Ben E. King in his brief time in The Drifters.  The Drifters would have over 60 members in their many line up changes.  Ben E. King only recorded 13 songs as part of the group; but they include "This Magic Moment" and "Save the Last Dance For Me."  This one isn't well known; but it's still great with both the soaring strings and the harmonizing from the other drifters.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2015, 01:47:07 PM
37 years ago, Jim Jones ordered the mass suicide of Jonestown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIDDP_EprcA

It's unique in Manowar's history. Maybe they should have followed that vein a bit more.

Syt

They did inspire one of my favorite parody/cover bands, though, Mandowar. Their "Gods of Folk" mimics Manowar's song style so well (with acoustic guitars and mandolins), that I could have sworn it's a cover, but I couldn't find the original matching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWGWYFTH6Q
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Nick Cave - Brompton Oratory. 

Reflective of my mood of late.