Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Eagles of Death Metal - Miss Alissa
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

World Cup team of 1986 singing 'Re-Sepp-Ten (vi er røde, vi er hvide)'.

I'm ready for the game. Bring it, Swedes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Well, it's better than Germany's 1986 World Cup song :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffACIijQ8k

I had forgotten how bad the lyrics are "Sombreros hide the eyes of the lonely men - gentle girls give away a yearning in the dark of night" :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2015, 03:05:18 PM
I had forgotten how bad the lyrics are "Sombreros hide the eyes of the lonely men - gentle girls give away a yearning in the dark of night" :lol:

Did Bernie Taupin write the lyrics?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

David Bowie - Aladin Sane

There's a musical program which accompanies the fireworks in Detroit every year; it's accompanies the fireworks program on television as well as being played on radio for people watching them live.  Every year, right after the grand finale, they play Sammy Davis Jr's "Hello Detroit."  It would have been so much more appropriate if they had played "Panic in Detroit," with the chaos following all the people leaving at once.

The album sort of follows the same format as Ziggy Stardust, but doesn't really work together the way the previous album did.  The major problem is that Bowie seems unable to decide if he wants to make a straight out rock album, or a campy retro-future avant garde cabaret album.  The songs vary between those two very different ideas.  The individual songs are all great (with the exception of his... visionary... interpretation of "Let's Spend the Night Together") but as a whole album it doesn't come close to living up to its predecessor.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

King Crimson - 'Island'  -  An odd, weird album from the early 70s, not sure it's aged that well.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 03:28:11 PM
I have. -_-

My mother dislikes it because she doesn't like that he describes 70 as being a crazy old age. :D

Yeah when I heard that song I was definitely hurt that Ed Sheeran would stop loving me when we turn 70.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

David Bowie - Pin Ups

The last hurrah for The Spiders From Mars; this is a collection of covers from mid-60s British bands.  Most of the covers are quite different from the originals.  The only one that I think is a substantial improvement is "Sorrow" (originally by the Merseys) the sax solo breathes life into the song.  The one that I think went wrong is "See Emily Play," his version is just too weird (something I never thought I'd write about a Syd Barrett song.)  The others are interesting.  The Rykodisc version is worth hunting down for Bowie's attempts to sound like Bruce Springsteen on "Growing Up," and his (in my opinion) improved cover of Jacques Brel's "Amsterdam."

Savonarola

Barrett Strong Misery

This is the end of the line for Motown singer Barrett Strong.  The song is actually pretty good, it's a slow bluesy shuffle.  It's easily his best single since "Money," but it didn't chart and he moved on.

The B-Side Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right is a straight out blues song.  Unfortunately Barrett's voice was too smooth for the blues.

Barrett would bounce around a number of record companies, and make some decent records.  Make Up Your Mind for instance, sounds like an early Curtis Mayfield number.  He never had another hit single, at least not as a performer.  He became a songwriter and returned to Motown in the late sixties where he co-wrote classics like "I heard it through the Grapevine."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

The Last Shadow Puppets are finally making a follow up to The Age of the Understatement! :w00t: :yeah:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

The album derives a number of its songs from two aborted concepts of Bowie's; Ziggy Stardust the Stage Show (Rebel Rebel) and a musical version of 1984 (We are the Dead, 1984, Big Brother.)  Somehow he took those fragments and created a perfectly weird vision of a glam dystopia.

This is his first outing since "Space Oddity" without The Spiders From Mars; but he's still stuck in his glam phase complete with persona (Halloween Jack this time) and something of a story.  I think it still works out pretty well.  Bowie's singing had noticeably improved, and he can manage to croon now.

"1984" is probably the most danceable song about a totalitarian dystopia ever made.  Tina Turner even covered it:cool: