News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Missy Elliott  feat. Pharrell Williams- WTF (Where They From)

So glad to have her back!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Most streamed song ever on Spotify is Lean On with Major Lazer and MØ. With all my hipster tendencies I'm surprised I like a song that gets this honour. MØ. :wub:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/12/spotify-most-streamed-track-all-time-major-lazer-lean-on
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Rough. It is alright but hardly worthy of being the most streamed. I wonder if it exists in a lot of spotify's pre-created playlists as that's where I've been hearing it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Possibly, I never heard it on Spotify but they played it a lot on the radio here during summer.

I've never heard the 2nd most streamed though. Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I have. -_-

My mother dislikes it because she doesn't like that he describes 70 as being a crazy old age. :D

Savonarola

Mary Wells - I Don't Want To Take A Chance

Motown had a long string of duds in early 1961; some were great and just failed to find an audience, but many were bad.  Berry pulled out all the stops on this one.  It worked out, not only is it a great song, but it managed to hit the pop top 40 (only the third time Motown had done that "Money" and "Shop Around" were the first two) as well as an R&B top 10.

The B Side I'm So Sorry is a mid-tempo blues number.  Wells really had a great voice for this sort of song.

This would be the first time Motown would use its iconic "Map" label on a single:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

I listened to an Ed Sheeran song once. Don't remember how it went.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

I'm an al-eee-gator

I doubt anyone else could sing that with such sincerity.  Once again all the influences are on display; Marc Bolan, Jacques Brel, The VU, and Anthony Newley (as well as Judy Garland...) all shine through, but this time the work is unmistakably Bowie.  The album is Bowie at his most theatric, with an opening, a closing and something of a story.  With all that it works together remarkably well; in my opinion this is both David Bowie's best album as well as Mick Ronson's.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

I get the impression you're treating yourself to Bowie after doing your Motown assignment.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 13, 2015, 11:10:57 AM
I get the impression you're treating yourself to Bowie after doing your Motown assignment.  :hmm:

Maybe.  Some of the early Motown singles need some sort of indulgence afterwards.

I had been tempted to listen to the individual Beatles solo careers after I finished up their albums, but I really don't have that great of a collection of them (and none of their solo works are as good as a Beatles album.)  So I went with Bowie instead. 

Savonarola

Andre Williams - Rosa Lee Stay off of that Bell (1961)

No, not that Andre Williams, this Andre Williams was a R&B singer (sort of) known for his novelty records like Bacon Fat and Jail Bait.  (Yes the latter is exactly what you expect it to be.)  He doesn't so much sing as he delivers his lines in a slow drawl.  So it's something of a surprise that he does sing on this, his one and only Motown single.  It sort of sounds like a Carl Perkins rip-off; it's a colossal waste of talent for both Mr. Williams and the Funk Brothers.

The B Side Shoo Doo clearly should have been the A-Side.  In this one Andre tells a story about a girl he meets.  When he asks her parents if he could take her out they tell him that he can if he takes her brother and sister as well.  After he agrees to that they keep adding relatives and pets he must also take with them.  All the while the background singers Shoo Doo, while they sound like they're trying not to burst out into giggles.  It might not have been a hit, but it is what Andre Williams did best.

Andre would go on to become a producer and songwriter; producing for such different groups as The Temptations, Ike and Tina, and Parliament.  Then he blew all his money on drugs and ended up homeless.  Then he got straightened out and is still making zany novelty records.

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on November 10, 2015, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 04, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
Bloc Party - The Love Within

Such a bad song. There are short moments of pure Bloc Party goodness, but only because Okereke's vocals reminds me of their earlier work.

I don't like it, but I've become quite addicted to the break at the 2 minute mark. One of the happier Bloc Party songs I've heard, from that point.

Geeze that's a bad song.  Why does Viper continue to support these people?   :mad:

;)

The Brain

Saw Ghost in Stockholm tonight. They were great. :punk: :pope:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Edith Piaff - La Marseillaise  :frog: :(

Liep

Eagles of Death Metal - I Want You So Hard (Boy's Bad News)