News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Horisont - Odyssey (album)

The retro prog rock genre is getting a bit crowded these days. But this is quite excellent. It's concept-ish, a "space saga," and if you like 1970s hard rock with a bit of retr sci-fi, then this might be worth checking out (it's on Spotify).

And they've made a glorious video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcg8S5nPN-M
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Every Swede is a member of 3 bands, minimum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Marina and the Diamonds – Are You Satisfied?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Speaking of Sweden, anyone else read about the preponderance of middle aged Scandinavians writing current chart hits?  I've read two articles about it, one in The Atlantic and one in the NYT.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2015, 04:11:41 PM
Speaking of Sweden, anyone else read about the preponderance of middle aged Scandinavians writing current chart hits?  I've read two articles about it, one in The Atlantic and one in the NYT.

Like Max Martin and similar? What did the rags say?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2015, 04:18:09 PM

That the number of Scandinavians is weird and that they just rewrite the same songs over and over.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2015, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2015, 04:18:09 PM

That the number of Scandinavians is weird and that they just rewrite the same songs over and over.

Weird? :angry:

Savonarola

David Bowie - David Bowie (1967)

Everyone has to start somewhere and Mr. Jones's first album is... different.  The songs lie somewhere between British music hall, British middle of the road music, and just plain Britishness.  The album isn't good, but it isn't dull, thanks largely to the fact that most of the songs seem to have been written by a crazy person.  The most unforgettable track is Please Mr. Gravedigger which is a duet for voice and sound effects.  As a strange coincidence, the album was released the same day as "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Gino Parks - Blibberin' Blabbin' Blues (1961)

Well so long as you're ripping off people, you might as well keep going.  Here Motown makes an almost identical song to Yakety Yak by the Coasters.  This isn't quite as blatant as "Tomorrow and Always," at least they didn't use the same lyrics this time through.  It's actually not a Gino Parks solo record, but a trio of Gino Parks, Henry Lumpkin and Robert Bateman of the Satintones.  Motown had, at this time, thought of making Motown's answer to "The Coasters," which makes their rip-off that much worse.

The B side Don't Say Bye Bye had already been released as a B-side by Ron and Bill for the single "It."  It's sort of an Everly Brothers song as sung by The Coasters.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Just recently found a very touching song from an American rock band Ignite.

Their singer was born in the US from Hungarian parents, and in this singing in Hungarian (with a bit of accent), about good memories of his grandma and the village his family is from, and how we should not forget our roots. Needless to say my immigrant soul can relate. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AR3zLYx9XU

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

David Bowie - Space Oddity (Album)

This is light years ahead of his first album; while it isn't quite the masterpiece of most of his 70s output, the songs are all good enough that the album is listenable.  You can start to hear his themes develop here; the Messiah figure on "Cygnet Committee" or the fluid persona in "Janine."  There's some duds (the orchestration in "Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud" ruin the song, I don't care for the Bob Dylan freakout at the end of "Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed,") and none of the songs live up to the title track.  Still I think it's a good album overall.