News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2015, 04:05:36 PM
Hey Sav, where are you finding all this Beatles stuff to listen to.

I realized that although I've heard lots of Beatles stuff (and it is very very good stuff) I've never sat down and listened to their albums, which seems like it might be a worthwhile endeavour.  But the complete Beatles collection is $149 on iTunes - a little rich for my blood.

I own all the album and was just going through my collection.  You can find some of them on Vimeo or Dailymotion.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Quote from: Savonarola on October 29, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 29, 2015, 06:02:11 AM
It's "Play Danish Day" today and that's easily the most interesting day to listen to the radio.

Yung - Nobody Cares

It sort of reminds me of Sonic Youth.  I'm not sure I care for the tempo changes.

QuotePsyched Up Janis - I Died In My Teens

I don't care for the lead singer.  It sounds like he wants to be Kurt Cobain, the wa-a-ay he dra-a-ags everythi-i-i-ng out.  He isn't very good at it.

QuoteDe Underjordiske - Hvis Du Forstod

I like this one, it reminds me of U2.

QuotePluto - Guldlok

Back to new wave, I like this one as well.   :cool:

QuoteAnd so much more!

:hug:

Thanks for posting these   :)

Glad you liked it!

Yung is part of the very hyped Danish punk wave of which Ice Age is best known. They can do nothing wrong.

Psyched Up Janis was the Danish answer to Grunge in the 90's, I guess you had to be there and I was a bit too young.

De Underjordiske is more psych rock in the rest of their stuff, various success but this number is great.

Pluto - Guldlok is a classic for me, released just around the time I was starting at Uni.

The most interesting new Danish music is probably The Entrepreneurs with the song 'Brutal Summer' though, great energy in that one. Horrible band name, but hey, I guess that's never easy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on October 29, 2015, 03:59:36 PM
I'll give it another chance tomorrow when I listen to "Let it Be Naked" (:perv:); but what am I missing?  To me it sounds like easy listening music.

"It's got a good beat and you can dance to it."  :)

I dunno.  The note progressions, especially in the verses, sound nice to me, and they work with the lyrics.  Plus it's singable.  And I like the contrast between the understatement of the verses and the overstatement of the chorus.  Reminds me a little of Bridge Over Troubled Water in that way.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 28, 2015, 08:37:51 PM
Dire Strait's - 'So Far Away' the first track on 'Brothers in Arms', I really like the laid back.

edit:
Though 'Why Worry' is a better track for all the wrong reasons.

Haven't listened to BiA in a while. Need to drag it out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

The Beatles - Let It Be... Naked (:perv:)

Some of the songs work out a little better without Phil Spector's production; I liked "For Your Blues" and "One After 909" more than I did on the regular version.  On the other hand the Paul's more polished vocals on "Let it Be" work better on "I've Got A Feeling."  The biggest changes are on "Let It Be," "Across the Universe" and "The Long and Winding Road," I don't think the versions are better, just different.

"Dig it" and "Maggie May," were removed from this at no great loss.  Unfortunately "Don't Let Me Down" was added.  It's an interesting experiment, but I don't think it's an improvement over the original "Let It Be."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on October 29, 2015, 12:51:19 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 29, 2015, 12:36:05 PM
I don't know if it was a single, but I find "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" rather annoying. And it's stuck in my head now.  <_<

Sorry

I think there's only four Beatles songs that I don't like ("Mr. Moonlight," "Ballad of John and Yoko," "Don't Let Me Down" and "The Long and Winding Road.")

I'm adding "I, Me, Mine" to that list of Beatles' songs that I don't like.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The Satintones Tomorrow and Always

A really blatant rip-off of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? by the Shirelles, how Motown possibly thought they were going to get away with this is a mystery.  They didn't, they were sued, the single was pulled and the songwriters are listed as Goffin and King.  It's supposed to be an "Answer record" where the Satintones are telling the Shirrelles that they'll love them forever and always; except not only is it the same song, they even kept some of the same lyrics.

The B side A Love that Can Never Be is forgettable, but at least it's original.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2015, 12:57:44 PM

A really blatant rip-off of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? by the Shirelles, how Motown possibly thought they were going to get away with this is a mystery.  They didn't, they were sued, the single was pulled and the songwriters are listed as Goffin and King.  It's supposed to be an "Answer record" where the Satintones are telling the Shirrelles that they'll love them forever and always; except not only is it the same song, they even kept some of the same lyrics.

They didn't rip off someone obscure enough ... doing that worked for Led Zep.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 01:45:38 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2015, 12:57:44 PM

They didn't rip off someone obscure enough ... doing that worked for Led Zep.  :D

Actually maybe Motown thought the Satintones thought they were obscure enough to get away with it.  Motown only had two crossover hits at this point ("Money" and "Shop Around.")  (Motown did have some more singles which made it on the R&B charts.)  I don't think the Satintones ever made it on any chart.

Eddie Teach

Better Than Ezra- Desperately Wanting, In the Blood, Rosealia, Good, Southern Girl, Laid (James cover)
Chris Isaak- Wicked Game
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

So apparently David Bowie will have a new album next Jan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.